• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Door Handle Questions

dronsen

Hey there-

I have two door handle questions related to NON-LVAD (air-drop) FMTV's:

1. Does anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason to when the door handles changed from lift up type to lift forward version? It is not from A0 to A1.

2. Does anyone know if there is are any aftermarket or compatible handles that fit either style door/handle?

Photos attached - I don't have high res pix of newer style handle (Photo 1 is older handle, photos 2 & 3 are of newer style door/handle)

THANKS!

$_1.JPG S 3.jpg S 2.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Im thinking the military went to the side pull style since the original pull up style is prone to failure. And they are expensive.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is a '98 and still had the lift style handles. If it wasn't at the switch to A1s it must have been awfully close to it.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen these on a lot of the 2000 - 2004 M1088A1's. I have seen 2004's with the pull-forward handle so it may have been a mid-year change.

DSCN1912.jpg

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen these on a lot of the 2000 - 2004 M1088A1's. I have seen 2004's with the pull-forward handle so it may have been a mid-year change.

View attachment 645009
Interesting. Dumb question cause I have never looked closely...but could that be a regular door handle that is flipped upside down? I have had mine out but never paid close enough attention to see if they could be swapped to the other side and flipped upside down.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Dumb question cause I have never looked closely...but could that be a regular door handle that is flipped upside down? I have had mine out but never paid close enough attention to see if they could be swapped to the other side and flipped upside down.
That's the 1st thing I thought when I saw that. Are both doors like that? If so then I'd guess someone just put them in the wrong doors. If only 1 is like that then likely the unit was in the field or the mechanics only had a left hand door and had to make it work for one that was broken on the right.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the 1st thing I thought when I saw that. Are both doors like that? If so then I'd guess someone just put them in the wrong doors. If only 1 is like that then likely the unit was in the field or the mechanics only had a left hand door and had to make it work for one that was broken on the right.
If this is the case I was just thinking that for those who need a door handle...it doubles your options!

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't pulled the door handles on my 1993 which is a lift-up to compare them, but it might work. You would probably have to change the linkage to get the lengths right, but it wouldn't be that difficult to fab them. I need to pull the drivers side door handle on the 2004 since it is keyed differently than the passenger side (which I got a key cut for). I will see if it can be flipped.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, both door handles are like this and I have seen it on multiple other A1 trucks from the 11th ACR. I assumed it was a factory install, but it is possible that is it regiment specific. Either way, it is a nice change. I like it a lot better than the lift-up handles.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't look like it is regiment specific. The tan one is a 2004 M1078A1 from Ft. Riley in Kansas and the green one is out of Ft. Dix in New Jersey. 11th ACR is based out of Ft. Irwin in California.

640370_6002_10099_0001.jpg640517_6002_159_0001.jpg

dronsen

Hmmm...So sounds like there may actually be 3 styles of door handles...If old style handles are the same part, linkages had to have been changed (at least their lengths). Any additional input would be great from anyone that pulls theirs apart. Also, anyone with new style that can provide good pix (exterior and interior best) would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...So sounds like there may actually be 3 styles of door handles...If old style handles are the same part, linkages had to have been changed (at least their lengths). Any additional input would be great from anyone that pulls theirs apart. Also, anyone with new style that can provide good pix (exterior and interior best) would be great.

Thanks,

Dave
The handles aren't a "zero tolerance" item, meaning there is wiggle room in there and they could be turned over without any change of the linkage. Barring seeing 3 different NSNs for door handles I would be skeptical that there are 3 different models.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The handles aren't "zero tolerance" items, but there isn't much slop in my experience. The passenger side handle on my 2004 had obviously been worked on and was keyed differently than the drivers side so it had likely been swapped out to try and fix an issue. When I got the truck, the passenger side wouldn't unlatch from the outside handle. Only the inside handle. 1/16" adjustment in the main linkage fixed the issue and the handle works great now.

I need to pull the drivers side pull-down handle to get it re-keyed. I will get some good pictures when I have it out.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine were loose enough that I put them back in the wrong doors the 1st time. If they'll fit backwards I'm guessing they'll fit upside down.

scottmandu

All my C7 trucks all have the side pull handles. I have a 3126 powered truck that has pull up handles and a 94 M1088 that had side pull handles. With the mixing and matching of parts done at the depot and units, it's hard to say what left the factory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks