• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Rotating Amber Beacon

SIMXVertigo

Morning everyone,

Was outside staring at my 1078 for no reason a couple days ago and decided I NEED/MUST/GOTTA have the amber beacon. I have searched high and low for one with absolutely no luck in finding one. Gave my buddy a call in the Oregon Guard and he said that few of his trucks have them and has little information.

So I decide if I had the female end of the plug I could make my own but I have NO idea where to find the plug and was hoping people here know what plug I need OR have the rotating light. Part number(s) for the light is: 57K1220 or 12420230.

Here are a few pics of the port on the back of the cab:

Port For Rotating Amber1.jpg Port For Rotating Amber2.jpg

Any help would be great!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, here's part of the deal with amber beacon lights on the FMTVs, non-wrecker variants.

This is called the RAWLS, Rotating Amber Warning Light System... it's a Republic of Korea (South Korea) requirement for the large vehicles, that and the fisheye mirror that you see sometimes. The RAWLS was/is required on anything larger than a HMMWV. I've seen it hit and miss on my last tour, but my first tour they were mandatory for the truck to be dispatched. They were 12 or 24 v lights, I don't remember, they were somewhat standardized in location but as trucks would get replaced (or cabs replaced) the location could change. it was not specifically the same amber light setup that the wreckers had. Some trucks had this light wired into the running lights, other trucks had a separate, non-standard, switch for them, usually marked with sharpie or paint marker of some sort.

Woodsplinter

Are these beacons anything like the ones on the 2.5 ton convoy lights? If so, Grote makes a 24 volt rotating amber beacon (just like the discontinued Federal beacon). Available on Amazon and a few other on-line vendors for about $100.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are these beacons anything like the ones on the 2.5 ton convoy lights? If so, Grote makes a 24 volt rotating amber beacon (just like the discontinued Federal beacon). Available on Amazon and a few other on-line vendors for about $100.
Yes... just a new version. As far as I recall based on my experience. we had a large variety of them, they didn't all seem to be the same, like the generator tool boxes, depending on what company made them, depended on size and 'matching'. They were not LED versions, they were rotating style. I couldn't tell you if they were bolted on bases or magnetic.

Woodsplinter

The Grote part # is 76283 for the 24v rotating beacon with 2 sealed beam lamps. There are a few places on-line that carry them from about $95 to $150.

Another option is the Whelen RB6P- same size housing but has a large reflector that rotates around a halogen bulb. Very bright- there's a video on www.sirennet.com.

SIMXVertigo

Working on getting a beacon kit right now.

TM's say the port in the back of the cab is a J62 connector. Google has turned up NOTHING so far as to where I can get spares or anything. Not done looking yet.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on getting a beacon kit right now.

TM's say the port in the back of the cab is a J62 connector. Google has turned up NOTHING so far as to where I can get spares or anything. Not done looking yet.
is that port on the back of the cab for the intercom? Or is it 24v and ground for a beacon?
i have a spkr in my cab mounted on the dash, no wires to it, but I did find a disconnected connector behind the cab
that I think is for the intercom to the troops, I haven't followed it very far, it disappears into the engine area. It does reach to the top center of the bed...

Shark Bait

is that port on the back of the cab for the intercom? Or is it 24v and ground for a beacon?
i have a spkr in my cab mounted on the dash, no wires to it, but I did find a disconnected connector behind the cab
that I think is for the intercom to the troops, I haven't followed it very far, it disappears into the engine area. It does reach to the top center of the bed...
The one ontherear of the cab is controlled by the beacon switch on the dashboard. I don't remember though if its 12 or 24 volt. Been a while since I played with it.

Dave

MaiNiaK

I believe the troop alarm/intercom plugs into the plug to the left of the hydrolic unit. There is a similar plug to the one on the cab.

sveng

J62 is the junction number listed in the wiring diagrams. The part you are looking for is an ITT/Cannon CA310610SL-4P-B-02. I ordered one yesterday through Vertical.com. This number is for a straight plug. They also stock a 90° plug. You can download a ITT/Cannon catalog for this style connector. Hope this helps

SIMXVertigo

J62 is the junction number listed in the wiring diagrams. The part you are looking for is an ITT/Cannon CA310610SL-4P-B-02. I ordered one yesterday through Vertical.com. This number is for a straight plug. They also stock a 90° plug. You can download a ITT/Cannon catalog for this style connector. Hope this helps
Do you have a direct link to that part? Their website gives me a headache.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Did you type the p/n correctly? CA3106E10SL-4P-B-02 comes up in Digi-key for $32.10 ea.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got about ten of those rotating beacon, (unfortunately they all have blue lenses.) They are NOS, and some are 24 volt, others 12 volt. They're manufactured by MARS. And I've just learned not long ago that the various color lenses are still available from other manufacturers and they fit right on. The lights are still in original boxes with the mounting patters and rubber gaskets.

Strong50

Hey everyone. Do any of you happen to have a picture of the wire that connects to the "Beacon Plug" on the rear of the M1088 cab? The M1088 I'm working on has two wires that were cut, wrapped up, and laying on the floor. Looks like both wires were run along the floor, but not sure where they go? Any help would be appreciated.

Second Question. The M1088 is missing the beacon light. I have several 12v LED beacon lights laying around the shop and if I could just cut and splice one of them into the original wires then i could just fab a quick mounting bracket. Have any of you done this, or something similar?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks