• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Steering Wheel center Cap

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My original "ugly" center cap!
oldcap.jpg
My solution!
Make a die set to stamp a new center cap out of 24 gauge 304 stainless steel, powder coat it flat black and have it laser engraved.
Here are the results Old cap, freshly stamped cap, WWII Army logo, and Air Force logo.
4caps.jpg
Installed Cap with my logo.
capinstalled2.jpgcapinstalled1.jpg
I did one with the original Stewart & Stevenson logo but my first attempt didn't turn out to my satisfaction.
I'm going to do the S & S logo again until I'm satisfied.
I'll post pictures when I get them done.

Last edited:

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you could sell a few for sure. I thought about just cutting a disk to replace my old original one, but your stamped one looks great! How about a "Steel Soldiers" one?

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliment. It is a 2003 and the cab is spotless...for the the most part! I bought it from Gov Planet as a non runner with all fluids drained. I'm suspicious that it may have been a victim of hurricane Katrina flooding. The cab was good but everything else had rust more so than normal. BUT with a lot of time and TLC I refurbished the entire chassis and so much more. Here's a few pictures.
IMG_5714.jpgIMG_5800.jpgIMG_5807.jpgIMG_6024.jpgIMG_6035.jpg
Yes I'm a Proud Owner of my M1078, FMTV, LMTV, 2.5 Ton...........

Last edited:

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'm finally getting the second batch of center caps done, hopefully the Stewart & Stevenson laser etching will turn out perfectly this time around.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the second batch was destroyed when they were at the powder coaters and the powder coaters shop burned to the ground. Crazy bad luck! But the third batch is all done and looks good.

These are completely hand made one at a time by me and in small batches of 12.
I start off with 24 gage 304 stainless sheet. Hand cut each one with tin snips into a rough circle.
Cap cut outs.jpg
The left over scrap.
Cap trimmings.jpg
Then I stamp them in the Die tool I made on the shop press.
Cap die.jpgStamped center cap.jpg
Then I have to turn them down to the proper OD (Outside Dimension) on the lathe using a special jig to hold them during this process.
Next they get Powder coated and laser etched at a small business that specializes in powder coating YETI cups and and laser etching them.
While that is getting done I make a large washer out of black delriin, which is a type of plastic.
Cap washer.jpg
The purpose of the washer is to add thickness to the center cap so it matches the thickness of the original cap and it stays nice and tight in the steering wheel.
Steering wheel center caps finished.jpg
Here are some of the finished Center Caps. They can be custom logoed.
If you are interested email me at keith@innovativemachineworx.com

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks