• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FNG, first CUCV. What to do first...

Prospect62

Hello all. Been wanting a CUCV for some time, finally got one.

The truck is an 85 M1009 with 86,000 miles +/-. Yes, it has a lift and 35's. I know some people here frown on lifts, but it's something I would have wanted to do eventually anyway so I consider it a bonus.

My questions is, assuming previous owners haven't made any changes, what should I put on the top of my to-do list? I see there are some pretty common mods (dog head, harmonic balancer, etc.) that most people do. I don't know where to begin, never owned a diesel. I still have to shake the truck down and see what it needs. I plan on doing ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, axle joints and bearings. Then from there just making sure small stuff works like parking brake, horn, lights and wipers.

Just looking for suggestions as to what I should tackle first in the way of needed upgrades to the 6.2, the 24V system, etc. to ensure greater reliability. Outside of that it's just another K5 Blazer and I can handle that. Anything anyone wants to suggest, I'll listen to! Thanks. Glad to finally have a truck after lurking here for 12 years!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

The truck is an 85 M1009 with 86,000 miles +/-. Yes, it has a lift and 35's. I know some people here frown on lifts, but it's something I would have wanted to do eventually anyway so I consider it a bonus.

My questions is, assuming previous owners haven't made any changes, what should I put on the top of my to-do list? I see there are some pretty common mods (dog head, harmonic balancer, etc.) that most people do. I don't know where to begin, never owned a diesel. I still have to shake the truck down and see what it needs. I plan on doing ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes, axle joints and bearings. Then from there just making sure small stuff works like parking brake, horn, lights and wipers.

Just looking for suggestions as to what I should tackle first in the way of needed upgrades to the 6.2, the 24V system, etc. to ensure greater reliability. Outside of that it's just another K5 Blazer and I can handle that. Anything anyone wants to suggest, I'll listen to! Thanks. Glad to finally have a truck after lurking here for 12 years!
Well Congratulations!!

Nothing quite like finally having what you have been looking for.
Toys R Us for Sure!

There are quite a few guys here with a lot more experience than I, so about the best I can say is Dang Right!! Seeing that you have a fist full of messages and likes - you must already know where to find the TM's for your truck. Grab them up if you haven't already and go to town on your new-to-you truck :cool:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Looks great!! I think there's a sticky on these in the cucv section going through what filters and oil to use...I think a weird part is the fuel pump as some parts catalogs give you the wrong one...the one on the block is what I'm referring to...has to do with the way the pump arm is bent...really not much to do on these but basic maintenance like you're talking about! Can change the transmission filter and fluid if you'd like...I put a drain plug in the pan when I have it off to make the next change or to lower the level if I put to much in way less messy...can check the glow plugs to see if they're working...hate to find that out when it's cold out! The front might have manual hubs...make sure they turn and lock easy...if you're packing the front bearings you can clean them up at the same time! Fun thing about these is they're extremely simple so don't over think stuff! I have not replaced my starter solenoid yet as the big ford one they put in melted shut too...I have a regular 30 amp relay I'm going to put in its place. Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Prospect62

Hey does anyone here know if the yellow bumpers was a military thing? I've never seen that before but I can't imagine anyone but the military painting bumpers yellow. If anyone knows, it's gotta be someone here.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey does anyone here know if the yellow bumpers was a military thing? I've never seen that before but I can't imagine anyone but the military painting bumpers yellow. If anyone knows, it's gotta be someone here.
Don't know about on these trucks, but back in Vietnam, the gun trucks had the yellow nose on the 5-Ton's. The 8th Group, 523rd Transportation Company used that yellow paint and yellow headlights too. Esprit De Corps was part of it. Identification from a distance or when being helped by a fighter was its purpose.

More information about the Gun Trucks:

At least you have info about why your truck might have been painted that way.

Prospect62

Don't know about on these trucks, but back in Vietnam, the gun trucks had the yellow nose on the 5-Ton's. The 8th Group, 523rd Transportation Company used that yellow paint and yellow headlights too. Esprit De Corps was part of it. Identification from a distance or when being helped by a fighter was its purpose.

More information about the Gun Trucks:

At least you have info about why your truck might have been painted that way.
Very interesting, indeed. Thank you for that!

Keith_J

Since 24 volt starter and isolated negative 27 SI alternator parts are available, keep it 24 volt. I have spares for both.

I have a 7 inch Kindle which has the entire TM series on it, it goes in my bag of essentials.

Little things like a 12 volt outlet or two are quite handy to add. I have two, one from each battery. If you need an inverter, a 24 volt model can be easily powered from the radio rack on the 1009..and you can get real power. A 2000 watt model is easily powered.

Get a good tool kit, spare belt set and other parts. Glow plugs, relay and a glow plug card are great to have before they are needed. A multimeter rounds out the kit.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone with more experience/expertise might need to comment, but running that size wheel on stock M1009 axles may not have the reliability you might hope for. It'll run the street OK, but may fail a diff or axle when you're far from civilization and pushing them.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone with more experience/expertise might need to comment, but running that size wheel on stock M1009 axles may not have the reliability you might hope for. It'll run the street OK, but may fail a diff or axle when you're far from civilization and pushing them.
Maybe he got lucky and the previous owner swapped the axles for 1-ton axles?

Prospect62

Yeah I know, had my fair share of experience with 10 bolts. Just hoping for the best for now, upgrades down the road.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How urgent is it that I change the harmonic balancer?
How badly is the rubber "oozing" out between the pieces of metal that create it? Could be that it is fine. Look at it closely for cracks in the rubber. That is the sign of death. ON THE OTHER HAND, at 30 years old - it could just be time. If the balancer separates, it is over.

Prospect62

How badly is the rubber "oozing" out between the pieces of metal that create it? Could be that it is fine. Look at it closely for cracks in the rubber. That is the sign of death. ON THE OTHER HAND, at 30 years old - it could just be time. If the balancer separates, it is over.
I can't see any oozing of rubber, and when the engine is running I don't notice any wobble of the balancer or pulley.

Prospect62

Man this thing is a turd with the 3.08's though. Gonna get old fast. If doing the front end and other maintenance doesn't drain my slush fund, I may have to spring for gears sooner than planned. Not planning any serious off roading. Occasional fishing and beach trips, some power line trials now and then.

cucvrus

Man this thing is a turd with the 3.08's though. Gonna get old fast. If doing the front end and other maintenance doesn't drain my slush fund, I may have to spring for gears sooner than planned. Not planning any serious off roading. Occasional fishing and beach trips, some power line trials now and then.
I have a set of 3:73 gears here out of a 1990 K5 Blazer. You will need 30 spline axles for the rear. I have the complete front axle and the complete rear apart minus the 30 spline axles. Sweet deal on them. It has an Eaton locker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks