• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Folding tire davit......How is supposed to work/look?

mcshooter79

I have an M931 with the 11.00x20s and it has the folding style tire davit. I managed to break one of the pivot pins and considered just welding the davit solid more like the later davits found on the A1 and A2 trucks but first I wanted to know what would I be losing by doing so? What was the purpose of the pivot points on the 1st M939 generation davits? what is it supposed to look like when it's folded? Were they supposed to be removed and stowed in some fashion? Any explanation or especially pictures would be helpful and yes I searched the site and I couldn't find anything, I'm not saying it doesn't exist but the search engine on here isn't the friendliest and I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it covered in the -10tm?

mcshooter79

Yes, in a very limited fashion.

The A1 and A2 davits did not fold in any way but the first M939 generation trucks had a davit that folded. I can make guesses as to how it folds (mine is inop at the moment) and the -10 does suggest that it was done to reduce vehicle height for shipping. I guess the ones on the A1 and A2 trucks were simply unbolted instead of folded. I just wanted to know if anyone had more info like pictures and and personal experience with them.

Last edited:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's pictures on ebay of one folded.

"Folding Steel Davit Frame, Spare Tire Hoist Crane for M923 M939 & M900 series 5T"

Hopefully not linking to it will prevent auction related deleting. I'm not promoting the auction, but it has the data requested....

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And mine bent. I assume from the weight (extra) of the 14.00's over the 11.00's. Was like that when I got it. On the "fix it" list.

Bighurt

So I was working on the M925 this weekend and I discovered two things. One folded up I suspect the Davit will fit in the tool box. And two I suspect the folding davit was used on winch trucks cause it will be in the way when using a jib boom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks