• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum pick up question please.

Chrispyny

Today I won an auction for an mep-802a on a m116a3 trailer on govplanet, located at Fort Drum.

Upon reviewing the pick up details it says :
"No loading dock, ramps, or fork lift available. Only RGN (i guess goose neck) or trailers with ramps can be used to pick up this item at this location. Seller will not allow item to be loaded on a step deck or flat bed trailer without the appropriate ramps."

PHEW! What EXACTLY does this mean. Can i pull up with my pick up and pintle hook, and just hook up to pintle and trailer off the base?

If not, i have a 16' tandem axle landscape trailer with fold down ramp, can i use that to pick up the trailer? This is what i did when driving from my house in upstate NY to delaware to get my mep-002a i have.

If not, can i hire a local flat bed tow truck to remove the trailered generator off base for me?

From those with experience picking up at Ford Drum, please please let me know what my options are and what my best bet is!

Thanks guys!

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RGN is removable goose neck. That blurb is on most of the sites. Ive not picked up at Drum, but Ive never had any trouble either pulling the trailer off post or loading them onto a flatbed trailer from any of the sites Ive recovered from. If not sure your best bet would be contacting the site rep and ask.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the site rep will be enforcing their rules, best to contact them.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Good score. You will be a little delayed due to that unit needing a EUC.

You scored 2 Optima redtop batteries. They actually do not fit. At least they left the proper battery trays there. The proper fitting batteries are 51R. They fit in the trays and work with the hold downs. My past experience has been if it has wheels and is a trailer, you can pull it out with a vehicle. Like anything, ensure you have lights, brakes, and watch wheel bearing temps. Also like doghead said, make contact with the GP rep at FT Drum for day and times for pick-up.

Chrispyny

Thanks for everyones replies so far. I paid for the item and will send euc later tonite. I made two calls to govplanet, both reps remarked that run times for euc approvals are currently running between 8-10 weeks. It looks like i'll be picking up the generator at the beginning of january. Sigh.
How well do you think i did on the price? $1,600 plus extras.

I didn't even know what kind of auction it was. My friend and i were watching it for him, i 'prebid' $1,600, and 15 min after the auction started, i got an email i had won! what kinda auction did inbid on? Jeez, i'll have to pay better attention to this stuff!

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
As long as you schedule the pickup you wont have any problems, most people run into problems when they just try and show up unannounced. In order to get bidding privileges I am pretty sure the website is extremely clear on what you are getting into as well.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for everyones replies so far. I paid for the item and will send euc later tonite. I made two calls to govplanet, both reps remarked that run times for euc approvals are currently running between 8-10 weeks. It looks like i'll be picking up the generator at the beginning of january. Sigh.
How well do you think i did on the price? $1,600 plus extras.

I didn't even know what kind of auction it was. My friend and i were watching it for him, i 'prebid' $1,600, and 15 min after the auction started, i got an email i had won! what kinda auction did inbid on? Jeez, i'll have to pay better attention to this stuff!
Howdy,

IMHO

My perspective: It is a 5kw on a trailer.
The trailer looks good, tires look good, pintle and surge area look good.
MEP-802A unit is dated 2000, and from seeing pictures, does not show as being reset. This makes me think that either it was forgotten, not used, hour meter not functioning. I do see the fuel return line has been replaced, and used zip ties. From what little pictures show, the engine area looks like it has only seen 22 hours. Oil filter has been changed, looks like the fuel canister filter has been changed. Wires all look good. The air filter intake hose is out of place, it should be towards front of unit above starter. The bolts around the fuel tank show they have been removed and put back, makes you think, why were they in there. The exhaust looks like it has only seen 22 hours as well. For the unit sitting around for 15 years and only have 22 hours makes think about pistons and rings, cylinder walls, injectors, injector pumps, rubber lines, needing to be worked on. At least you know it is not seized. They cranked it over, but would not start. I am amazed they were able to get those Optima redtop batteries in there. The space between the engine and sides are skinny. That is why a type 51R battery fits there. The only Optima Yellowtop is the only model which comes in a 51R. Without seeing which redtop, I would assume it is a standard type 34 or 34/78 battery. At least it looks like they left you the proper battery trays and hold downs.

Now, about the auction;
You priority bid $1600.00
It shows there was 12 bids, you had the highest priority bid. The auction windows are short if no other bids come in. You win.
It might have started at $1,200, and went up by $50 a shot, someone might have went as high as $1550.00 and stopped since you were still higher. So, your max bid at $1,600.00 was the high bidder amount. Congrats.

Chrispyny

Since i started this thread, i realized i should have posted it under the pick up questions forum. I'd like to apologize to everyone for that.
I have an actual pick up question and since this thread is already here, i figure i'll just continue here and ask my question in this already started thread. I hope this makes more sense than starting yet another thread in a different subforum and maybe rubbing salt into a wound.
My EUC was approved, just short of 4 full weeks since i submitted my euc application on october 25th. That includes having to resend the euc one time at the end of october because my scanner cut off the bottom of one of the pages and i didn't notice.
I'm sure the quick approval has something to do with the fact that my background is spotless, i've had several full background checks performed against me in the past, and my name is not john smith, or abu bakr Albaghdadi.

I have scheduled my pickup for this coming wednesday. So, in preperation for trailering my mep-802a on its m116a3 trailer home from fort drum, to my home just north of albany, i have a few questions and am open to suggestions.

In preperation, i have purchased magnetic trailer lights from harbor freight. Upon reviewing the pictures, and help from daybreaks opinions, i should be able to confidently trailer the mep home with my 2009 1500 ram.
I have a pintle which measures approximately 21.5" from the ground to the center of where the lunette will sit in the pintle. I know the lunette on the m116a3 likes to sit at 24". Will this be a problem?
Also i plan on shooting over to tractor supply for 2 short lengths of chain to extend the safety chains so they can reach my truck hitch. Is 20" of chain and a couple screw pin shackles on each side enough or should i go 24" on each side? And is 5/16" chain good enough?
I also plan to bring a jack, some tools, and a tank of already compressed air. It's roughly 3.5 hours each way. I think i should be good right?
Any other suggestions?
Also, should i bring a long 5/16" bolt to bypass the surge brakes?
Ty!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
your truck should be fine.

Pintle measurements sound ok. Ideally you want to be straight, but I'm guessing you have the straight out pintle from TSC or Nothern Tool or similar.

My Pioneer tool trailer chains reached fine. really the only distance you are covering is the additional distance from your pintle to your receiver to hook in. 20" is fine, but it's always better to have extra.... so...

Tools sound good, but if you get a digital thermometer, that will tell you QUICK if your bearings are locked up or similar after a short drive. Hammer (BFH), WD-40, I had to use a ratchet strap to get my landing leg down when I brought mine home, due to how stiff it was and not having a jack... so.

Chrispyny

Dang .. my post was cut short somehow in a paste .. lets try this again ..

For those interested parties, i want to let you all know, i brought he 802 home today .. the on site contact Paul is an awesome dude .. very polite and respectful. great american .. helped me lift up the lunette to set on the pintle while my buddy backed the truck up .. There was a minor glitch with the bearings but i'll get into that in a thread i might start tonite in the equipment forum.
I don"t have anything planned tonite so i might take the generator off the trailer and stash the trailer out back for the winter. The 802 is going to be one of several winter projects and i plan on slowly going thru it to make it a runner. No wammys but, i think it's gonna be a runner with minimal work.

Thanks for everyones help.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks