• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

found in the woods CCKW

bud44750

My CCKW pulled out of the woods in White Salmon ,Washington state. It's been sitting for nearly 40 years .had an arctic cab on it and I'm converting it to fold down windshield with MG ring. It has no Military Data Plate plate and no holes to indicate there ever was one , instead is a Govt HEW dept number tag as though it was made for them and never was in the military (health, education and welfare) not running yet several stuck valves and lifters.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck may have a nuclear story, very cool, thanks for posting and welcome to Greening up the planet.

Where did I see the info on HEW? It's in a book somewhere with Doctor Bauer and talks about HEW starting Civil Defense.

There are photos of CCKW Civil Defence vehicles out there too so Who's the CD expert down there? Did this thing just get a new label by HEW / CD after service? http://www.civildefensemuseum.com

bud44750

WOW!
That's quite a find. Thanks for telling her story here.
I look forward to following your progress.

:goodjob:
if you look close you can see it had sunk into the dirt up to the wheel rims. We had to dig it out to move it. We broke the brakes free from the drums by taking out the outer wheel bearing then cocking the wheel all around. A great trick and worked great and rolled freely to the pickup pont. The wooden steering wheel was shot and I will need a new gas tank, spare tire carrier and battery box. The owner had some very old pictures of bringing it home and using it to haul beams. It was used for logging mostly.

Attachments

bud44750

That truck may have a nuclear story, very cool, thanks for posting and welcome to Greening up the planet.

Where did I see the info on HEW? It's in a book somewhere with Doctor Bauer and talks about HEW starting Civil Defense.

There are photos of CCKW Civil Defence vehicles out there too so Who's the CD expert down there? Did this thing just get a new label by HEW / CD after service? http://www.civildefensemuseum.com
thanks for the lead, This truck was from Washington state and the Hanford nuclear facility is in Washington

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you look close you can see it had sunk into the dirt up to the wheel rims. We had to dig it out to move it. We broke the brakes free from the drums by taking out the outer wheel bearing then cocking the wheel all around. A great trick and worked great and rolled freely to the pickup pont. The wooden steering wheel was shot and I will need a new gas tank, spare tire carrier and battery box. The owner had some very old pictures of bringing it home and using it to haul beams. It was used for logging mostly.
THANKS!
We luv pics here ❤

bud44750

Did the motorcycle come with it? If so, what is it?

Guy
the property was filled with old military vehicles and cars ,sadly most in terrible shape, remember this is rainy and cold washington state.If I remember it was either a japanese road bike or English BSA type. it stayed on the property.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks