• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Friggin start box light

Glider

I've read some threads and don't want to hijack current thread.

My wait light/glow system is not working properly. It will not glow with truck cold but weather warm. It will crank but takes longer. I went out this morning with colder Temps and it worked properly. I'm guessing it's the temp sensor. I have grounding kit, gel batteries, less than year old glow plugs and KDS box. The after glow cycling works properly also.

Is it a safe assumption the temp sensor would be the likely culprit?

Attachments

Glider

Temps hi80,s late afternoon. Didn't glow.

Temp mid 60's early morning.

Seems like it flashed once very fast and then wouldn't do anything when turn off and back on when hot. Worked fine on cold.

Glider

Temps hi80,s late afternoon. Didn't glow.

Temp mid 60's early morning.

Seems like it flashed once very fast and then wouldn't do anything when turn off and back on when hot. Worked fine on cold.
Drove the 998 yesterday. It was around 70. Wait light flashed once. I could hear electrical noises and see the volt meter pulsing on and off. I waited for about 30 seconds and it definitely cranked faster than a non glow plug assisted start.

This morning 50 degrees. Wait light came on like normal. I did not want to cold start just to turn it off so no crank info. Dumb decision on my part.

I researched the compatability of TSU and it seems the KDS yellow band plays best with KDS and Nartron if I have to get a new box. I most likely will go with a KDS box anyway. Found and ordered a KDS TSU. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how it goes.

ehinlein

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all,
I’ve got an ‘86. 6.2 etc. I’ve had my KDS box blow a component twice now over the years. Think it’s a power transistor but it’s been a while. Fixed it and it works. I didn’t want to get stuck somewhere so I did the parallel harness for the glow plugs and left original tied in. Nice relay, switch, circuit breaker in line. It’s cold- I hit momentary switch for 6-7 secs and starts great. Am I crazy doing this? A bit of work and not original but can always revert back. Cheaper than boxes etc. Why aren’t more people doing this? At least as a patch if stuck. Waiting to get hammered on this 😬. The box thing just keeps coming up.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Hi all,
I’ve got an ‘86. 6.2 etc. I’ve had my KDS box blow a component twice now over the years. Think it’s a power transistor but it’s been a while. Fixed it and it works. I didn’t want to get stuck somewhere so I did the parallel harness for the glow plugs and left original tied in. Nice relay, switch, circuit breaker in line. It’s cold- I hit momentary switch for 6-7 secs and starts great. Am I crazy doing this? A bit of work and not original but can always revert back. Cheaper than boxes etc. Why aren’t more people doing this? At least as a patch if stuck. Waiting to get hammered on this 😬. The box thing just keeps coming up.

YES you ARE CRAZY.... SMART.(y):geek:

Wait a couple of months when old man Winter hits... So will the "Can't start, wait light" questions. That's how I know it's Winter. LOL

Well someone sees the light or at least a glow. Search back thru my posts and learn,

Been there, done that, no more smart box, plug and play, CAMO

AND here it is. Have built three and others have too.

P1010053.JPG

Last edited:

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAMO is saying, lots has been talked about on the Smart Box DELETE/MOD....Check out the forum.. Use the Search.. You're probably closer than you think on your analysis..

Glider

Just seeing the picture and I'm excited. I hope that is a momentary switch for manual glow plug operation. Looks like I have some searching to do.

Back to my old box I tried the glow switch yesterday morning and this morning when chilly out. Only got a flash of wait light. Later yesterday afternoon when warmer I tried the switch and the box performed properly. So... my hot-cold theory is out the door. I received the TSU in mail today and will install sometime. I'll post results soon.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The search function perplexes me often

YEA...ME TOO.

PM me direct for serious inquiries. Exchange of phone numbers to build rapport and support this build. Simple DIY skills are required to assemble. It is a learning experience with rewards to the problems with an "'OUT with the box" solution. No modification to existing wiring. Build - plug & play - done.

A better mouse trap IMO, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks