• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter change

Mmiller412

How do I change the fuel filter on the 250 motor? I’ve located the filter house omg just inside the drivers fender well. But how does to come off? Also, it there a priming limo for this engine? I can’t find any info on any of this stuff

Ajax MD

You don't say if you have the M809 or M939 series truck, but all the 5-ton tech manuals are located here:

The whole filter housing itself simply unscrews if I remember correctly. If it's been on there forever, you might need a big rubber strap wrench to bust it free.
Obviously, drain the housing with the petcock at the bottom, first.

Fill the filter and housing before installing it. Yes, it's tricky to juggle it, just be careful. To prime the system, use the cold start hand pump on the dash. Also, just above the fuel filter, near the intake hose is a air bleed valve. Open the valve and have Soldier B operate the hand pump in the cab.

When fuel squirts out of the bleed valve, you're done. Try to start the truck.

Mmiller412

the hand pump on the dash? Do you mean that little button to the left of the steering wheel? Also, when I turn that petcock, nothing drains out. There’s a primer handle just above and forward of the fuel filter. Not sure how to use it cause it doesn’t move in or out.

Ajax MD

If you've opened the petcock at the bottom of the housing and nothing drains out, you have a lot of crud at the bottom. Open the petcock, grab a piece of stiff wire and stab/swirl around up in there to try to clear it.

I have an M813 truck. I have a hand pump on the dash as part of the "cold start" system. It is also used to prime the system after replacing the filter. I assumed an M923 with 250 would be the same, but I may be wrong. The primer handle may be locked. Push and twist it 90 degrees. Then, it should move in and out...unless it's corroded and stuck.

Ajax MD

So, after consulting the manuals the 939's with NHC 250 trucks do use an ether cold-start system (the button you mentioned).
The 939 manuals still show the fuel canister and petcock, so I was correct on that count. Open the valve and ream it out with a bit of stiff wire. Use a rubber strap wrench to unscrew the housing if necessary.

The operator's manual contains the fuel system priming procedure and yes, it looks like the priming pump is in the engine compartment, not in the cab as with the M809's. Here's the link to the operator's manual:

Mmiller412

So, after consulting the manuals the 939's with NHC 250 trucks do use an ether cold-start system (the button you mentioned).
The 939 manuals still show the fuel canister and petcock, so I was correct on that count. Open the valve and ream it out with a bit of stiff wire. Use a rubber strap wrench to unscrew the housing if necessary.

The operator's manual contains the fuel system priming procedure and yes, it looks like the priming pump is in the engine compartment, not in the cab as with the M809's. Here's the link to the operator's manual:

Thank you. I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm new to these trucks. And new to this forum. Was having trouble navigating the site to find info. Again, thanks for the help

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you. I appreciate it. Like I said, I'm new to these trucks. And new to this forum. Was having trouble navigating the site to find info. Again, thanks for the help
There is a 3/4" head bolt on the top of it. Remove it as it holds the canister on. That bolt has an O ring on it that needs to be replaced as it is in the filter gasket kit as well.

Mmiller412

There is a 3/4" head bolt on the top of it. Remove it as it holds the canister on. That bolt has an O ring on it that needs to be replaced as it is in the filter gasket kit as well.
Thank you. I figured it was that bolt as the filter housing does not spin off.

Ajax MD

Ah! That's right! Dang, it's been a year so I haven't messed with mine since that first time. I completely forgot.

77 AMG

You can also leave the air built up in the tanks, change the filter (filling the canister up, of course) and use a modified fuel cap that has an air chuck on it, and a hose to "pressurize" the tank, open the bleeder and go from there... Thanks for the help on that, Matt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks