• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Issue on Startup?

landen300

I have looked through threads for most of my lunch break today and for the last half hour. I don't want to post a redundant thread, but I cannot find a post on the exact problem I'm having.

85 M1009. Has started great since I got it about 5 months ago, been daily driving it for about 3 weeks, ~1500 miles. Sunday, the wait light came on, I let it go off, and in the usual amount of time it takes to start, I had a few sputters, then nothing. The last few days after sitting over night, I have had to crank the crap out of it with my foot to the floor (no white smoke coming out the pipes) It slowly begins to hit on a few cylinders here and there, and finally starts well enough to let go of the key, but if I take my foot off the floor until it catches up, it dies. Usually takes ~10 seconds to take on its own. After it began to idle well enough for me to take my foot out of it, the idle hunted a little, kinda like my Ford diesel does after I change the fuel filter. Sounded like a 2-Cycle Detroit with a poorly adjusted buffer screw. Once it starts, and you drive it around throughout the day, it does fine on restarts.

Here's what I'm thinking, just don't know If I'm on the right track. I verified that my Glow System is Op by using the TM's. I am thinking the fuel is bleeding down over a period of sitting and that it may be caused by the lift pump. The check valves in there letting fuel drain back before the IP? I am going to consult the TM's on this as well, but this site is for people with a common interest to learn from each other, right? Thank you for any advice.

91W350

Filter base, rubber lines, return lines, lift pump... anyplace that will let air in so the fuel can siphon back to the tank.

91W350

I had a M1009 that drove me crazy, I just could not find the leak. About six months later, it finally started leaking fuel, it was the filter base. Nothing external up to that point. Glen

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had the same problem on 2 cucv's. After some searching I ended up removing the fuel pressure sensor disc from the fuel filter housing and tapping the port then plugging it with a bolt, fixed the problem and didn't cost a dime. The sensor is used for the military test kit and has no other funcion. Neither one showed any sign of a fuel leak. Another truck I had would leak fuel from the throttle shaft on the injector pump when first started cold, the leak would stop when warmed up, replaced the injector pump on that one.

Barrman

Air molecules are smaller than fuel molecules. That means air can get sucked in and no fuel will spill out of a small hole. Any air leak between the inlet to the IP all the way back to the tank can cause the fuel to drain out over night. Some members have started parking nose down when the truck is going to sit for a while. With the fuel tank level with or higher than the leak, nothing goes anywhere.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On top of the fuel filter there is a bleeder, have someone crank the motor and bleed the ait out of the lines. I would change the filter 1St thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks