• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak

rickdavis81

M51 with the multifuel. Ever have the fuel lines leak where the attach to the hh? I checked and they’re tight. It’s hard to tell which one but looks like it seeps enough to drip off the side of the head. The previous owner installed a new ip and couldn’t get it to start. With your guys help I got the timing lined out and running. But when you start it you have to hold it to the floor and it’ll finally start but you have to continue to hold it there till it clears up then it won’t idle till you drive it for awhile. Figure it’s getting air in the system there.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever have the fuel lines leak where the attach to the hh? I checked and they’re tight. It’s hard to tell which one but looks like it seeps enough to drip off the side of the head. The previous owner installed a new ip and couldn’t get it to start. With your guys help I got the timing lined out and running. But when you start it you have to hold it to the floor and it’ll finally start but you have to continue to hold it there till it clears up then it won’t idle till you drive it for awhile. Figure it’s getting air in the system there.
It might help to post what model truck and motor your working on.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the delivery lines are leaking, SOMETIMES it helps to crack the line while the engine is running. If when assembled, debris got into the seat area, the fuel will push it out and things will seal up. If the lines were over tightened, the ferrules could have been damaged.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the lines that were put on the IP had a problem with the ends then it's a line problem. You need to clean real well and trace the fuel. There has been problems with a crack in the head. There has been problem with the center plug. If you still can't see right where the fuel is coming from try this. On a piece of paper look at the tin firing order ring on the head and write it down plus rotation. Take a pair of tin snips and cut the tin plate off clean and find the leak. I would bet your hard starting is another problem with the IP system.

Last edited:

rickdavis81

If the delivery lines are leaking, SOMETIMES it helps to crack the line while the engine is running. If when assembled, debris got into the seat area, the fuel will push it out and things will seal up. If the lines were over tightened, the ferrules could have been damaged.
Can the ferrules themselves be changed or have to change the lines?

big block 88

One i worked on a few years back with hard starting was miss matched injectors. I had leaks on several injector lines from the owner had over tightened all of them. I cleaned the threads up and teflon taped the to death. Not the right way to do it but it may get you going again. I did end up making new lines with new ferrules and fittings. Still had the threads boogered in the hh.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the ferrules themselves be changed or have to change the lines?
I say no as the end tips are designed to spin. That could be a leaking line problem if the installer did not check the lines tips before install. I have seen tips with just a tick of metal missing and that would cause a leak. Find the leak first then figure what the fix. Need to know what is leaking not what appears to be leaking. When I got my MTV it appeared the oil pan was leaking and after the pan gasket replacement the real leak was the oil cooler. Moral to story I wish I new what was leaking other than what appeared to be leaking.
Also when I install new or old IP lines I put something on both end tips. Just put a little dab grease / oil on you fingers and apply all around the fitting to wet it.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, can't replace the ferrules, once on the line, no can take off. Over torquing the nut can crack the line.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks