• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Sock / Strainer Part Comparison

Wire Fox

I was getting ready to overhaul the fuel tank with a fresh cleaning and a new sender, seal, access hatch, and fuel screen. While looking up the fuel screens, I was stunned to see the prices that are out there ($35-75 each). I started with P/N R12338556, but found that it was superseded by P/N 12338556-1. At first glance, both looked to be the same at most locations. But in a final price check, I hit up one of my most trusted suppliers and saw that the parts appeared very different, and appropriately have very different prices ($25 vs $58 ).

R12338556:
thumb_HUM_R12338556.jpg

12338556-1:
thumb_HUM_12338556-1.jpg

They mark the latter as a "fuel strainer with stopper." Precisely though, does anyone know what it actually stops? To me, it almost looks like a check ball so that if the sock became unreasonably clogged, the check ball would pop open and unfiltered fuel could be pulled in to prevent engine stoppage. Any experts here know for sure?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually just did this same research yesterday. The sock has an Ac delco part number, problem is, absolutley no one
has them in stock anywhere. The sock for our tanks does have a fail safe as you describe over the early sock and works pretty much as you have pointed out. Personally, I just order them from HPG, I’d like to find them for half price, but no luck. I just did both fuel tanks in an H1....

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Looking at the two, they both do the same thing. Top one HumV standard and it too as the check valve / flapper on the end.

Bottom one looks like NASA built it for the space shuttle.

Either one should launch a HumV. What's in your wallet, CAMO

mturner2003

Ive rebuilt probably 100 fuel tanks....never seen the -1 in that pic, I will still with the standard sock.
Directed at Retiredwarhorses… cleaning my tank now. My strainer rusted off. The question is, when replacing, does the strainer just slip on? Or, is there something we need to apply to make sure it does not come off? In other words do I just put it on or do I need to use an adhesive? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: OBX

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Directed at Retiredwarhorses… cleaning my tank now. My strainer rusted off. The question is, when replacing, does the strainer just slip on? Or, is there something we need to apply to make sure it does not come off? In other words do I just put it on or do I need to use an adhesive? Thanks in advance.
Yes, but it can be a bit of PITA to get the sock on, I align it correctly on the pickup tube and push it on till it will stay, then hit it flatly with a mallet to seat it permanently, you will need to hold the pickup tube tightly in your hand close to the end where the sock goes on so you don’t bend or break the braze on the pitting end.
once installed it’s kind of hard for the sock to fall off because it rests against The bottom of the tank.

mturner2003

Yes, but it can be a bit of PITA to get the sock on, I align it correctly on the pickup tube and push it on till it will stay, then hit it flatly with a mallet to seat it permanently, you will need to hold the pickup tube tightly in your hand close to the end where the sock goes on so you don’t bend or break the braze on the pitting end.
once installed it’s kind of hard for the sock to fall off because it rests against The bottom of the tank.
10-4. Thank you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks