• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Full HMMWV restoration reccomendation

Navy dude

Hello and thanks for the help. I have a 2 man 998 that I want restored. I have a slant back that I bought fairly restored, and brought it up quite a bit to original standards. I travel for work and spend enough time away from family that when I am home don't want to be a stranger working out in the garage like I have done for several months. I am looking to ship the 988 out to have it done. Since my slant is bone stock, I would like to do something mildly custom but still HMMWV with the second truck... I would like to change the tranny to the 4l80 at least. Any recs on the best place to ship it? I live very close to Eastern Surplus in PA, but wherever the best place is I can trailer it there. I actually thought about a big diesel swap too but have been told that I would open a can of worms. Of course it might be best just to find one already done and sell my 998 as is, but would like to try to fix it up. Thanks!

Last edited:

nattieleather

I'm not sure what you are asking? There are companies out there that specialize in military trucks that you could contract with to do the work you are looking to have done. As to what to do to your truck...well it's your truck how much money do you have will determine what modifications you can make. Want a 4L80 in it go for it. Want to change to 6.5 turbo go for it. Want to put a Cummins 4BT in it go for it. If you're having the work done just make sure you find someone with the knowledge and the skills to perform the work you want. Is there a local custom shop that you can contact in your town? Check them out, talk to other customers, see if they are comfortable working with diesel. Good luck with your project.

Navy dude

I’m pretty much looking for a complete restoration up to and possibly including frame off. I would be open to engine swaps as well. I know I’m going to pay but want it done right somewhere with knowledge and experience. Just wondering who might hav had a good experience. I have heard several names of companies that do this but looking for a positive reference.

Casek

You can start with Plan-b supply, they can do a pretty good job, good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

He's not near you but I'd recommend RWH here on the boards.
I haven't really dealt with him on my personal truck but he seems to have a very good reputation at least with a few people that deal with him that I know.
I think he probably has a waiting list which is good for him and bad for you if your in a hurry.
I think he is still active in the reserve so that's also a plus in my book. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about your project.
As well as give you a few pointers and a general idea of what your looking at $$$ wise if he did the work.
Might help you with your selection of potential other vendors if noting else.

Just my .02 worth.
BH

Navy dude

He's not near you but I'd recommend RWH here on the boards.
I haven't really dealt with him on my personal truck but he seems to have a very good reputation at least with a few people that deal with him that I know.
I think he probably has a waiting list which is good for him and bad for you if your in a hurry.
I think he is still active in the reserve so that's also a plus in my book. I'm sure he would be willing to talk to you about your project.
As well as give you a few pointers and a general idea of what your looking at $$$ wise if he did the work.
Might help you with your selection of potential other vendors if noting else.

Just my .02 worth.
BH
Thanks for that, you have always been very helpful, I'll check with him....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for that, you have always been very helpful, I'll check with him....
Thank you for the mention...

yes, there is always a backlog in the shop, not by design obviously, just the fact that the “Frame up” take considerable time.
coupled with Trucks wanting FRAG upgrades, OEM A/C upgrades...these all take time,biggest issue is OEM parts availability, AM General has pulled back a lot of the later model parts due to contracts.
regardless of the shop you choose, I would just say, do your homework, most shops today have only been around for a few years, they don’t use OEM parts and frankly just do terrible shoddy work.
Feel free to PM for my cell, I can talk to you about what you need and recommend a good shop...

Navy dude

Thank you for the mention...

yes, there is always a backlog in the shop, not by design obviously, just the fact that the “Frame up” take considerable time.
coupled with Trucks wanting FRAG upgrades, OEM A/C upgrades...these all take time,biggest issue is OEM parts availability, AM General has pulled back a lot of the later model parts due to contracts.
regardless of the shop you choose, I would just say, do your homework, most shops today have only been around for a few years, they don’t use OEM parts and frankly just do terrible shoddy work.
Feel free to PM for my cell, I can talk to you about what you need and recommend a good shop...
Thanks, great chatting with you, great info!

Reidspacer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did some motor and tranny work on mine. The shop I went to did this for me, Brand new GM PERFORMANCE L96 MOTOR, BRAND NEW 4L80E TRANS. There was some custom work done but not over the top. My humble now has about 425 HP, its totally reliable, runs cooler, and any good GM mechanic can just plug into the o.b.d. and work on it like any other car. It wouldn't do 60mph down hill, now it will run 120mph all day long. Cost total for motor, trans. computer, accessories, gps gauges, etc. $30k. well worth the money. I was going to do a diesel swap to a dura max or cummins that would have cost $50k. Hope that helps.

Reidspacer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe not all day. Brakes are stock, I got the unit with 500 miles on it. It was a very clean unit out of Murray, Kentucky. The guys name is Brandon Edmiston, he has about 150 units he got from auction, fixes up and sells, they are titled in Kentucky. He sellIMG_20190420_123909.jpgs on eBay a lotIMG_20190406_175803.jpgIMG_20190420_123909.jpg

Gamble

Maybe not all day. Brakes are stock, I got the unit with 500 miles on it. It was a very clean unit out of Murray, Kentucky. The guys name is Brandon Edmiston, he has about 150 units he got from auction, fixes up and sells, they are titled in Kentucky. He sellView attachment 768396s on eBay a lotView attachment 768395View attachment 768396
I'm trying to reach that guy. Did you go buy his shop western Kentucky Surplus? Were there alot of Hmmwvs at the location? Is he still in business?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm trying to reach that guy. Did you go buy his shop western Kentucky Surplus? Were there alot of Hmmwvs at the location? Is he still in business?
Is this the place?
WOW eye candy for me and ready, complete, customized or whatever One
can afford for others.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh, you mean this guy?

Yes, I did read all that before I posted about eye candy.
Yes, Me thinks He still sells the truck You want.
No Pangolins or bats were harmed in this posting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks