• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FWD Wheel mount Military crane

waayfast

Ok, so having reviewed the rules, I hope this is in the correct spot and is all right.

Over in the next town, there is a guy with a tow truck business. He just moved a crane over to the edge of the highway and put a for sale sign in the window.

It is a wheel (6wd truck) mounted, 20 ton military construction crane. "lattice"style boom. Been painted White with some stripping years ago--I think it could be polished out pretty nicely if you did not care to repaint it O.D.
Manufactured in 1957, FWD "lower" and a Gar-Wood "upper".

He said it has sat for 10 years where it was and it started right up. Drove it about 1000ft to where it is now. The carriage (lower) is powered by a GMC 671 and the Crane (upper) is powered by a Waukesha. I did not ask about the crane portion if it all works or not. Looks VERY complete and decent shape.

I can get pics (yeah, yeah, I know--I kept forgetting Ma's camera this week) and a contact number if anyone shows an interest.

I would really like to get it but have WAY to many irons in the fire at this point.
Denny is asking 7000.00 The thing would be pretty handy and would cost a bit less than what most wreckers I've seen.

Chime in here or hit me with a PM if interested.

Jim

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
sure need pics, check and see if the model number is M20, the FWD carrier should be model MUC, the crane should be able to lift 20t on outriggers, short work radius. The 671 is a repower, the Waukesha is OE, about 404 ci, 70 hp, a very long stroke engine

Last edited:

waayfast

73m819

What should be the OE carriage powerplant? Just curious.

He said he will try to sell but if it doesn't-- it's going to the scrapper.

When I told him I had "some" people that may be interested-- his eyes lit up---so that's why I put it on here.

Let's hope somebody will save this one----I have seen it around here for years. Looks like a good machine, handy too.

Jim

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWD used to use alot of International inline 6's , if it was a gasser.
Waukesha were common to alot of cranes but parts are expensive. If it's the motor I'm thinking of it's a monster.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
FWD used to use alot of International inline 6's , if it was a gasser.
Waukesha were common to alot of cranes but parts are expensive. If it's the motor I'm thinking of it's a monster.
YEP VERY long stroke,

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Garwood M20A for sure. He will not get 7000K except across the scale. It weighs 60,000.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Above post reeks of collusion.
Thank you for pointing out a possible problem.

Nope - NO PROBLEM! No collusion noted. The SELLER has already established an asking price of $7000.

Definition of COLLUSION:
Collusion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

We aren't talking about a "secret agreement" (as in auction bidding).

Nor has anyhing decietful been discussed, only the exersice of a potential BUYER's right to disclosure. The SELLER mentioned a weight estimate that the potential BUYER believes to be in error.

I am reminded of the line in this song.... "Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em."

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tSo4IICBTY[/media]

Essentially, my earlier post was meant to say:

You've got a great deal staring you in the face. You'd better jump on it before the SELLER wakes up and smells the roses.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

THAT, Sir, is NOT collusion.

Again, I thank you for the opportunity to perform a thought-check.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plus if plan on having it hauled and tell them it weighs #20,000 and it actually weighs #58,000 the cost of shipping is going to change alot . Not to mention they probably won't send a trailer rated to haul it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the nicest old crane I have ever seen. Looks very well maintained. Also, it is a later M20 "B" model. A little newer than the M20A which was a early 50's model.

waayfast

I spent a little time looking it over today.
It has ZERO rust (don't get much rust around here unless you drive your rig thru that crap-azzed de-icer they put on the highways in winter). I'm sure if this unit was EVER driven in winter it was years before the de-icer was used.
Wire rope looked good, boom looked good, not bent up or rusty. I did not climb into the upper but the lower looks clean-even has a CB radio in it.
The crane has been local around here for at least 30 years and I don't ever remember it being used much. I would just about bet that the milieage in the odometer is what it actually has for miles.
The paint is acrylic Enamel with catalyst so if you were so inclined you could buff it out, make it shine pretty sitting in the driveway so as to not stir up the HOA!

He did not tell me anything about the crane's running shape but said it sat for 10 years (lower) and it started right up and drove it to where it is now.

He's asking 7000.00 for it --I'm thinking he may deal with the economy like it is.

If anyone is seriously interested I can get you a phone number. Crane is located at New Meadows, Idaho. (junction of HWYs 95 and 55 in central Idaho.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks