• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G-40H Coleman Tug

cobra5

Well I won this last year from the GSA auction and thought I'd post some pictures and share some info I found out about it. This is 1 of 30 that the USAF modified specifically for use as a tug to tow bomb trailers. The modification has to do with the addition of an air system to accommodate for the trailers air brakes. Anyway the forest service was using it as a yard tug as you can see in the photos with the tire and pusher they rigged up on the front of it. I have since removed their mods and will be restoring it back. I have found the original manuals to it which have been a great help for finding parts and figuring other things out. The manual is also how I found out about the modification. The 3rd picture is of my son cutting off the pig iron that was welded on the bumper.

Last edited:

cobra5

I replaced the window regulators in the driver and passenger doors. Who thought plastic pulleys and metal chain was a good idea. The manuals didn't have the part numbers but I found the manufactures mark on the regulators and although they don't make these obsolete parts, they put me in touch with one of their distributors. When I called and placed my order they refered to them as dinosaur parts.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had some tugs similar to yours years ago at Douglas Aircraft. They had gas V-8 engines converted to run on propane, and usually towed mercury carts or aircraft parts dolly's. Your son looks like he's good with a cutting torch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks