• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Geico insurance- Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeager1

Does anyone have Geico insurance? If so, how and what is it listed as? I got denied today because when it was googled by the underwriter it came up "Troop carrier" and the underwriter said they don't cover high occupancy vehicles and she didn't want to discuss it further. Their weight limit is 15k, so I'm good there and it's non-commercial, but unless I can tell them something different to classify it as they are treating it as a bus. I don't want to trick them into coverage, but if they will cover it and I just got an idiot on the phone I'd like to know. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coal Cracker

Does anyone have Gieco insurance? If so, how and what is it listed as? I got denied today because when it was googled by the underwriter it came up "Troop carrier" and the underwriter said they don't cover high occupancy vehicles and she didn't want to discuss it further. Their weight limit is 15k, so I'm good there and it's non-commercial, but unless I can tell them something different to classify it as they are treating it as a bus. I don't want to trick them into coverage, but if they will cover it and I just got an idiot on the phone I'd like to know. Thanks.

I'm just getting into the hobby, and hope soon to have a deuce, but I think you can get it insured through Hagerty Insurance. They have all of my classic vehicle covered

Again it's classic insurance though, no rainy days, nights, as long as you don't push the envelope Catch My Drift.

davesgmc

I have worked in insurance. Claims and underwriting. I can tell you this, you don't want to "trick" nay company into coverage. You WANT them to know EXACTLY what it is they are insuring. WHY??

When and if you have a claim, and it is something they are not supposed to cover, it can and will be denied.

Case in point, I had a claim for a "Mercedes truck". I looked at the "truck" in question. Exactly what I thought, it was a unimog. An ex military truck. The company I worked for DOES NOT write policies on ex military vehicle. And I know for a fact some of you guys out there have them with he exact same company. So I reported it to underwriting for review. DENIED! This guy had it insured for over 5 years with my company.. DENIED! He listed it as a Mercedes truck. Indeed it was a Mercedes truck. BUT he company does no write polices on such things. His claim was denied, policy canceled and the money he put to the policy over the past 5 years?? TOO BAD SO SAD. He was 100% responsible for all damages, his truck was totaled and the other 3 cars he hit were totaled, he was responsible for all property damages and for the personal injuries he caused. It stood up in court, I know because I Had to testify.

I have seen it over and over again with different types of vehicles, boats motorcycles, etc. YOU WANT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE. Because when it comes time for a claim, you want to use that policy, not have it voided out and claim denied and you just lost everything.

I would look into a stated value policy through a collector car type company for any mil-veh I own. There are many, just goggle it and pick one and see. I have a mil veh valued at $35k and it costs me $120 a year for full coverage, no deductible. I a guaranteed a pay out of $35k if the vehicle is a total loss or it is stolen, no if and or butts about it.

SO DON'T TRY TO "TRICK" A COMPANY INTO COVERAGE, BECAUSE YOU AMY END UP OWING FOR YOUR DAMAGES, AND YOUR VEHICLE IN THE END.

tomesee1

i had gieco they sucked they cant do anything i think that lizard really does run the place i went with AIG had no problems well other than there broke!!

davesgmc

hagerty is who I have on all my mil-veh, good company, and I have even done claims work for them, they seemed fair in all my dealings.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geico told me they won't insure anything over 10000 lbs.

I have used Hagerty, JC Taylor and Gulfway. So far, I like dealing with Gulfway, best. Hagerty was the least expensive.

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

Insurance on MV's and deuce's has been talked about alot here on the forum, So if you can master the search feature you'll probably find the answer your lookin for!

I use condon & skelly antique ins. Most here use Gulfway, Haggerty, or J.C.taylor.
I'm sure somebody somewhere has theirs insured with Gieco , But my son tried to get them to insure his deuce, and they said no way.
Good luck with your truck.

m109guy

When I registered my M109 I told the insurance company what it was, a large 3 axle surplus army truck. The lady was very nice and simply asked for me to fax her a copy of the registration so that she could check up on it and also see if it had passed a safety check and was road legal (which it is) before she could do anything.

In the end it all worked out fine. They know exactly what the truck is and what I do with it. I told her I was turning it into a camper and would also drive it in parades, so she insured it accordingly (~$275 a year). I only insured it for liability as I would have needed to get it evaluated by an expert in military vehicles for possible replacement value. I told her that there was no one like that around here, and that I was the expert (local old car association here who does the evaluations calls me for these things). Anyways, unless there is a huge accident where the truck would flip into a ditch or I get hit by another big truck, I doubt my truck would sustain much damage from getting hit by a standard car (it also helps when your truck doesn't move all that fast). If I do get into a big accident were the truck is scrapped....well I guess I will have another project to work on ;)

Last edited:

powerhouseduece

What are you all talking about? I just saved a bunch of money be switching to geico!

NOT!!!!!! I have them a it is titled as a 13,000 lbs jeep and thats what it is! Granted I do pay more because im 21 years old with a point on my DL but it actually went down when I turned 21. But im still covered and with the best libalty I could get so If the worst happens, I can be prepared!

yeager1

Well I called Geico back to see if I could get someone who would actually take the time to look it up, and the previous person has the vehicle listed as "denied due to type" so the next person wouldn't help either.

I need to get it by tomorrow, so it looks like I will call progressive, unless someone else has a suggestion of a place that will do it over the phone/computer (unlike most antique policies like Hagerty)

Tanglewood16137

I got a quote from gico you need to talk to the commercial dept thay are new and are handling the 10,00 and over vehicules mine for liability only was 635 a year with a comm class 8 plate when i find a deuce

yeager1

I got a quote from gico you need to talk to the commercial dept thay are new and are handling the 10,00 and over vehicules mine for liability only was 635 a year with a comm class 8 plate when i find a deuce
That's not a bad price, but I was hoping to get it on my regular policy, with 4 current vehicles, because it would/should only be a few more bucks a month. Good to know though.

wbv

I got my 818 insured through Progressive. I plan to use it for commercial work and told them so. I completely agree that it is necessary to tell the insurance company exactly what you plan to do with it. If you plan to pull a loaded trailer, they need to know that too.

Liability insurance for my m818 with Progressive is about $1,200 per year.

mcmullag

GEICO for my daily driver - 4Runner

Gulfway for my deuce - $200 a yr.

Ditto what Davesgmc said.... be totally honest with your insurance company for your regular vehicles too. I work in the Total Loss dept at Ford Motor Credit, we see claims denied once in awhile for stuff like... pickup was being used totally commercially for the guys remodeling biz but was insured as just a commuting vehicle/grocery getter. From what I see, the big insurance companies we deal with treat folks just fine if you are totally on the up and up with them from the get go.

ABN173

After reading this thread I did a quote for my M1008 (Washington has a few extra fees) but even still the quote was $192 for a year with $0 deductible. However they do not insure "Regular-use vehicles driven on a daily basis" So what is a good insurance company for a daily use vehicle?

edit: my USAA coverage is $300 every 6 months

Last edited:

Gatnom

USAA would not insure mine, despite 5 existing vehicles on the policy and 23 years with them. Same for State Farm...... I ended up with Gulfway (an agent for Travelers). I think what goes depends on your agent. I've learned lots about insurance coverage over the years. Bottom line, ask lots of questions, and do not BS the agent or assume coverage will be what you think it should be! Often working with someone local is much easier than someone far away. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks