• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 light and voltage issue

alburms311

I have a few issues. Issue one, so when I start my M1009 the Gen 1 light stays on, sometimes, however, it will go off after pressing the accelerator lightly. Reading through the TMs I'm thinking I need to adjust the idle speed, however, I'm not sure how much to adjust to get to the called for rpms. I read in another post I found on here that this was common, does anyone else have this issue?
Issue two. On start up, my volt gauge reads right in front of the tick mark in the green, after about 45 secs-1 min it goes to the far side of the tick mark in the green, and after that, usually after high idle has gone down, it moves to the line between green and red(see pictures) and stays there while driving, never goes any higher. I tested the battery's(see below) and I don’t believe I’m over charging. I had to go last night before I got a chance to test the alternator or volt gauge but I’m thinking that’s my next step hopefully this afternoon.
Side note: Gen 2 had been rebuilt and was sitting in drivers seat when I purchased vehicle, Gen 1 I have no history on, so I'm thinking it wont be a bad idea to order the rebuild kit from CUCV Electric. And here's a picture of her painted green, Ill get to the wheels shortly.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Battery readings:
Bat 1 off engine cold: 12.78
Bat 2 off engine cold: 12.79

Bat 1 high idle lights off: 14.74
Bat 2 high idle lights on: 14.93

Bat 1 low idle lights on: 14.74
Bat 2 low idle lights on: 15.34

Bat 1 after running idle 15 min lights on: 14.69
Bat 2 after running idle 15 minutes lights on: 15.31

Attachments

cpf240

Yes, you have to bump the throttle to get the Gen 1 light to go off. This is normal. As for the voltmeter readings, this is probably due to the cycling of the glow plugs and their "after glow" cycle.

alburms311

Thanks for the response cpf240. So, do you think the reading on my gauge in the picture is fine(the last pictureof it), or does it need to be investigated further?

cpf240

I think you are fine. As long as the charging voltages measured at the batteries are within spec, it should be good. My volt meter reads just over the line into the red, which would indicate an overcharge condition. However, measuring the voltage at each battery shows it is fine. One thing to keep in mind is that the voltmeter in the CUCVs is a 12v gauge, with a resistor on the back of it to drop the 24v it is fed down to the 12v range. That resistor could be out of spec, or the gauge could be.

Use the voltmeter as a guide, but verify with a DVM at the batteries.

Have fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks