• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 Light Romantic Glow

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suddenly I'm noticing the Gen 1 light is glowing softly while the motor is running. Everything else appears normal.

I would estimate the bulb is 35% as bright as it is when I turn the key and the Wait light is on. It goes out completely when I put a high load on the electrical system.

Thoughts?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Telling me where that diode is might save me years of searching randomly around the engine compartment. ;)

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Telling me where that diode is might save me years of searching randomly around the engine compartment. ;)
It's inside the alternator. Test your alternator while the engine is running and like dependable said it should show 14V+. If it shows less it is going bad.

dependable

At 13.9, is either under charging, or battery is run down and pulling current. If battery is low, voltage should creep up in a couple of minutes.

Like curtisje said, diode is an internal component of alternator, if you are not into going that far into it, just get it rebuilt (or buy a rebuilt and then rebuild and have a spare). If you replace or have refurbished, make sure vendor knows it should be isloated ground. If they do not know what that is, go somewhere else.

One other thing to check, seems obvious, but still gets me once in a while; make sure belt is not slipping, a lot of times they get thin and look pretty tight, but are worn narrow and slip under load.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The regulator set point is 14.8 volts. If the battery is good, you should read this voltage less than 5 minutes after starting the engine. Battery voltage before you start the engine should be about 12.7.

If the belt is slipping, the pulley will be hot.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDIT to correct:

Gen 1 is making 13.98v

Gen 2 is making just barely under 14.77v

The volt meter rides about 1/3rd in the green, and always has. Since the Gen 1 light, it goes to the high side of green, touches yellow, then corrects back to green when the engine RPM goes up.

With the plug pulled off the (left) alternator the light is out in Run.

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gen 1 is making 14.77v so it seems counter intuitive that it's going bad when it's rocking the voltage.

Gen 2 is making just barely under 12v but it's been that way for years and not causing any problems.

The volt meter rides about 1/3rd in the green, and always has. Since the Gen 1 light, it goes to the high side of green, touches yellow, then corrects back to green when the engine RPM goes up.

With the plug pulled off the (left) alternator the light is out in Run.
Well I'm confused. Gen1 on both my CUCVs is the drivers side alternator and it powers the front battery. Gen2 is passesnger side and it powers the rear battery. Either you got post #6 backwards or??????

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm confused. Gen1 on both my CUCVs is the drivers side alternator and it powers the front battery. Gen2 is passesnger side and it powers the rear battery. Either you got post #6 backwards or??????
Oops, yes. Engine running voltage at the front battery (gen1) is 13.98 and the back battery is 14.77.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit another snag- nobody locally rebuilds alternators anymore.

Is there a reasonable rebuilder I can ship to, or can I just do it myself with a kit?

Wait, since this is the driver's side alternator, it's NOT isolated ground? I can replace with an off the shelf alternator then?

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hit another snag- nobody locally rebuilds alternators anymore.

Is there a reasonable rebuilder I can ship to, or can I just do it myself with a kit?

Wait, since this is the driver's side alternator, it's NOT isolated ground? I can replace with an off the shelf alternator then?
Yes you can use an off the shelf alternator. Drivers side does not have to be isolated ground.

The website below is the shop in Yucca Valley, CA, that rebuilds my alternators. 2 year warranty. I know they have work shipped to them as well. It may be worth a call.

dependable

If you are fairly mechanical, it is not hard to "rebuild" them either.

Usually I don't replace the bearings unless they need it, just the diodes, voltage regulator, and sometimes the rectifier. I think forum member Tow4 (in post #8 on this thread) may still sell kits. If not search parts for 100 Amp 27 SI alternator.

Attached is manual for the alternator. The isloated ground is only thing not covered, but is pretty self explanitory if you look inside alt.

Attachments

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not selling rebuild kits anymore but they are available. Search Delco 27SI on your favorite auction site. If you have an original isolated ground unit, don't give it away as a core. They are different from the current production units and can be rebuilt as a spare for the passenger side because they are isolated ground.

There is a link to my rebuild thread in my signature below. It's easy to do.

Last edited:

panama

I'm not selling rebuild kits anymore but they are available. Search Delco 27SI on your favorite auction site. If you have an original isolated ground unit, don't give it away as a core. They are different from the current production units and can be rebuilt as a spare for the passenger side because they are isolated ground.

There is a link to my rebuild thread in my signature below. It's easy to do.
Ray, how can you tell if you have the original isolated ground unit still?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray, how can you tell if you have the original isolated ground unit still?
It will have the insulated ground terminal/post on the back. There are pictures in the rebuild thread in my signature. Non-isolated ground units will have a bolt that screws directly into the case if there is a ground connection.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks