• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 2 light and volt meter not working

fallen

Has anyone had this problem before. My gen 2 light will not come on and the volt meter is not getting any voltage. I remember hearing something about a similar problem that was caused by a relay. Both alternators are charging. 1986 m1009

idM1028

Check the relay next to starter relay under dash by ise diagnostic port!!!
:ditto:
There's actually two. One is the GEN2 relay, the other is the voltmeter relay. I can't remember the exact part #, but doesn't seem like they're hard to find. Those two are the same part number-wise. Jumpering the GEN2 relay (check the wiring diagram for the hot/ground wires) can tell you whether the problem is the light bulb, a ground or something else. If you get the light to come on, it's getting power, the bulb is good, and the ground is good. There's also a couple of resistors on the back of the voltmeter that have been known to go bad and screw stuff up. Get a voltmeter and test them. The resistance should be 300 ohms IIRC. I'd also check the troubleshooting section of the TM.

ryan77

Check all your fuses to! Check the blower motor fuse!! It would be odd that both relays went bad, Those voltage gauges go bad always!!!

fallen

Finaaly got time to look at it this afternoon. I located a 10 AMP fuse blown. It was located at the botton of the fuse block. Now the Gen 2 light works and I have power at the volt meter. I still need a voltmeter. Thanks for all of the help.

combatmech

Or you can get two 150 ohm resistors and install them on the back of your voltmeter where the existing 300 ohm resistor is .... I've fixed two that way.

camp9

Thanks for the post and answers. I have a 1009 that the kids were taking to the lock in at church last night. I was getting the dash lights replaced and the voltmeter touched the metal on the dash before I got the wires disconnected and seen a little spark. When I got everything back together the voltmeter wasn't working. The kids just got back so now I'll go check that fuse. Thanks for the helpful post, it gives me a direction.:)

fallen

Can you advise more on the volt meter fix. I dont know where the resistors are located. The only thing i see on the bacl of the volt meter is the two terminals thanks

fallen

The volt meter I have only has the two posts in the back. I dont remember seeing the other posts that go to the resistor. I will double check but I think I may be out of luck.

harryhr

I've got the same voltmeter problem with a different twist to it. Everything was running great under the hold and on the dash all the gauges were working as should be. I replaced the belts on the engine a couple months ago and recently the belt on alternator #1 (right hand side near batteries) started to squeal when first starting engine. I checked alternator by pushing down on the fins with my index finger and the pulley moved. So I tightened the tension to match the other alternator belt. I started the engine and no more squeal but noticed voltage meter was inoperative (meter arm all the way down to the left side). When I tightened the belt I made sure the small breaker bar I used did not come in contact with any wiring. Is this just a coincidence? I've already checked the fuse and it looked good but replaced with a new fuse to no avail. Still inop.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The passenger side alternator is GEN2. GEN1 is the driver side. Are you saying you turned the fan or moved the alternator?

Check the fusible links at the diamond shaped 12v terminal block next to the glowplug relay. I bet you will find one that is burnt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks