• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Shelf

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking for a place to carry my cheapie generator on camp trips. I already found places to mount four jerry cans, keeping them out of the bed. I would rather not have fuel in the back because sometimes we sleep in the back and it smells like fuel after a day of driving making for headaches and poor sleep.

I kinda copied the team that built the M109 for school ham radio projects. Except I don't have a welder and my genny only cost $79 dollars on sale. It's not a Honda. It's cheap and it's strong enough to power a automotive battery charger which might come in handy (though I hope not) and it will run a small microwave (for the pick up camper) and a blender for margaritas.

The only thing I had to buy were some bolts (I ended up two grade 8 bolts short as the hardware police will notice in the pics). The rest I had or was donated by 100dollarman aka Hundy aka Mark.

I picked up Phil aka BarneysZoo and we drove up to Mark's for a short visit. He's cleaned up a lot which is sort of a bummer, but he has kept several of everything. I didn't need any tools, everything was already off.

To make the shelf I used a piece of angle iron, a front fender mount Hundy gave me and a mud flap from my M109 box.

I need to have Soldier B paint the genny TAN. There is no good way to secure it from thieves that I have found so far, but we are looking into it. For now a couple TAN cargo straps hold it in place.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it sits on rubber feet? If so remove them and put bolts through them making it essentially a thick rubber washer then peen the threads so the bolt can't be removed.2cents

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like it sits on rubber feet? If so remove them and put bolts through them making it essentially a thick rubber washer then peen the threads so the bolt can't be removed.2cents
It does sit on rubber feet but they are pressed over a cast triangle piece that can't be removed. Like I said, it's not a Honda. :)

It's TAN now, just waiting to be put back together.

I'll keep looking for ways to lock it on. It has to come off when we use it in the pick up camper. Or I could just buy another, they're so cheap.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't mind a bigger generator, but I don't need it really. We bought this for our pick up camper since we mostly dry camp. We haven't killed the batteries yet, but carry the genny and a battery charger just in case.

I wanted to take it with me on the deuce to run some tools. Though I can use the inverter on the 12 volt battery.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can you make some brackets to go around it and lock it to the shelf? Maybe find an ammo or medic box to put it in and keep it out of the weather?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you make some brackets to go around it and lock it to the shelf? Maybe find an ammo or medic box to put it in and keep it out of the weather?
It sits in the garage unless I plan on using it on a trip. I was thinking about a water proof cover for road trips, but I like your box idea a lot. I would have to remove the current shelf since it has a V channel up the middle (Old mud flap), but if I used a box I wouldn't need it anyway.

Good thinking Gimp! I'm box hunting now!

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measurements of the box you want or the box for the genny? :)

I'll break out the tape in the morning and post up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cool, I should be able to find sumptin close. Going to grab some skids of ammo cans next weekend, I'll keep an eye out.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, it's a little better to look at now. I clear coated it to help with fuel spills, but it's too shiny. It needs dull coat.

A box would need to be around 16 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 15 tall. We could make it 3 inches shorter by removing the handle, but that would make it a PITA to get in and out. Unless we put some cutouts for the exhaust, pull rope and controls and just left it in there.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the idea of mounting the gen there.. Its out the way and easy to get at.. Great idea..

Thanks, but like most of my ideas, it wasn't mine. I copied the kids that tricked out that ham radio M109.

Since I have no welder (yet), I have to make do with what's laying around and grade 8 bolts.

oldMan99

I have often wondered why more people don't make use of that space for... something. Your gen mount is a great use of it. Good going!

Be very careful trying to run that gen inside a box. They overheat very easily when in any kind of enclosure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks