• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset

jrosbo

I just bought a new genset. I believe it is a XLA115. It was built buy homelite for the US Mobility Command. Anyone know where I can find the TM'S or parts (for future reference) for this little unit? Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I don't know what I would use it for but I thought it was really cool so I bought it. The wife said the only reason you bought it was because it said Army on it and its Army green. And I told her she may be right.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's cool! Looks like a chainsaw motor. Where did you find it? Got any more?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen that model generator before, but never in the case! Nice find. :wink: I think the engine is the same as on an XL12 chainsaw. TM 5-6115-405-15 Generator Set, Gasoline Engine: 0.125 Kw, AC, 115V, Single Phase, 400 Cycle; Special Purpose; W/Carrying Case (Homelite Model XLA115/1/400-1P)(Series Numbers 2,330,386 Through 2,331,917) (FSN: 6115-930-9498)(July 1967)(Including Changes 1-3); 116 pages, 32 illus. Price 12.00 {Item No.5015}[Operator. Organizational, Direct and General Operator, Organizational, Direct and General Support, and Depot Maintenance Manual Including Repair Parts]

http://www.military-info.com/Index.htm

Also, remember that with it being 400hz you can power resistance loads only! (ie. filament lightbulbs, heater elements. You can not use it to run a motor like on a drill or saw etc...)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
prc-47 power unit? I think that was the portable SSB HF radio that used 120VAC 400Hz or 24VDC.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good call Patrick!
prc-47 power unit? I think that was the portable SSB HF radio that used 120VAC 400Hz or 24VDC.
With that info, I found this , A gas powered generator was eventually built by Homelite designed around one of their chainsaw engines, that put out 100vac/400cps. I've only ever encountered two of these little generators

I found it here http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/NYH_PRC47.htm
Info on PRC-47 http://www.effectnet.com/mjnpa/prc-47.html This one links to the link above also.

jrosbo

Yes I know about the 400 cycle thing. I learned it from Mangus. I don't plan on using it much. I hope it will run a few lights in my Little pop up camper for when we go camping in unimproved areas. Other than that I got it because it is rare and looks cool but I don't plan on using it much because I am affraid parts are really hard to find. I have power inverters on my trucks and ATV's for running power tools and such. I won it on ebay so I don't know if he has anymore or not.

Gastrap

Sorry to drag up an ancient thread but, this was the only discussion I could find on these.

I have no idea what these may be worth. I have the opportunity to buy one like new, in case with sealed spare parts in canvas roll for $60. Deal or no deal? It seems though virtually useless, it would be a curio at the antique power shows I take my old hit & miss engines to.

Strange how OD attracts, no matter the item its on:-D

Gastrap

Kind of what I was thinking.

Ive got a lot of old "gee thats cheap" stuff in the shop that I do nothing with and some isnt worth what I paid for. Just wanted a few opinions, I didn't want to hear that GL just sold pallets of them for $5:wink:

Think I'll probably get it, but it will be a couple weeks before I see the guy again.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, remember that with it being 400hz you can power resistance loads only! (ie. filament lightbulbs, heater elements. You can not use it to run a motor like on a drill or saw etc...)
I believe you can run drills and small power tools with it because the tools use a 1/2 wave bridge rectifier to convert the power to DC for easy speed control. If the tool uses the trigger for speed control or if you know for a fact that it has "brushes" you should be able to run it.

Joe Tarver

I have one that I dug out and was working on today. Only getting a minute spark from the coil to the plug. Nothing firing on the plug. I've had the thing for over 15 years and it's probably useless, however, I would like to get it running. Any idea where I can get parts?

Triple Jim

Just a shot in the dark, but starting with the simple things, a bad ignition condenser could cause very weak spark. Dirty or pitted points could also.

I don't know how many models of Wico mags there are, but I've gotten them cheaply for my Gravely mower from eBay. Maybe if something in there is bad and you need a whole new one, you could locate the Wico model number and go from there.

(I deleted my post above because I had misunderstood your post.)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks