• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting Deuce from Georgia with no Title or SF-97 back to Louisiana

H

Hank.

For the last few hours I have been thoroughly searching the Steel Soldiers website, specifically the GL and SF-97 Help forums. I still have a few questions.

I am looking at purchasing a deuce from Georgia. The current owner does not have a title or SF-97 (only a bill of sale). The previous owner purchased the deuce from GL and supposedly he did not have a title or SF-97 either (only a bill of sale). In order to register this deuce for me in Louisiana, LA DMV requires a SF-97, a title, or a Manufacture's Certificate of Origin.

What is the easiest option here?
1) Is it possible to get the first owner to obtain the SF-97 and reassign it to the current owner?
2) Does the current owner have to get a Georgia title to sell it to me so that I can title it in Louisiana?
3) How are taxes taken care of? I don't want to pay taxes for anyone else but me.
4) Florida title from GL? Confusion on that one.

Thanks in advance!

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I would find a truck that has paperwork, there are just to many available out there to go through the trouble you are looking at.

KsM715

For the headache of no paperwork Id tell the seller to knock off 2K of the sale price or come back with a title.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, as long as they are in good standing with GL they can pay the $60 and get a SF-97 any time (not sure how many months/years) after the auction. They would then have to apply for title ($$) and then sign over to you, unless they are a dealer, then they can reassign the SF-97. Likelihood of this person doing this for free? Don't think so. Florida residents get Florida titles.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What year is the truck? Some places don't require a title after a certain age. A notarized bill of sale should work in that situation.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes, as long as they are in good standing with GL they can pay the $60 and get a SF-97 any time (not sure how many months/years) after the auction. They would then have to apply for title ($$) and then sign over to you, unless they are a dealer, then they can reassign the SF-97. Likelihood of this person doing this for free? Don't think so. Florida residents get Florida titles.
1 year from date of purchase to apply for the SF97, unless they (GL) have changed the policy.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year is the truck? Some places don't require a title after a certain age. A notarized bill of sale should work in that situation.

:ditto:

I thought Georgia didn't issue titles for vehicles beyond a certain age. So you would only get a bill of sale and that should be all you need in your state.

Ruppster

H

Hank.

Louisiana requires a SF-97, a title, or a certificate of origin. Georgia does not. That is the conundrum. It's a 1971.

Thanks for the comments so far!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best thing to do is check with your states DMV find out what they require ,if they require more than a Bill of Sale find a truck with proper paperwork to make your state happy.2cents

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Louisiana requires a SF-97, a title, or a certificate of origin. Georgia does not. That is the conundrum. It's a 1971.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Yeah, but isn't that if you are buying it from GL yourself? It sounds like you're buying it from a private person and not GL. So if it's from a private seller and the state the seller lives in doesn't issue a title how can LA ask for a title?

Ruppster

3dAngus

Georgia will flat out NOT issue a title for a vehicle that old. Don't matter what paperwork someone has for it. I have a title for an old model a from Tennessee. Can't get a Georgia title for it. I think it is a 20 year rule or something. Someone in Atlanta figured it was a waste of time and money to title the older vehicles.
So if you don't already have a title for it, you simply will not get it. Nothing the seller can do. I don't even know the seller can get a SF97 from GL as he is not the buyer on record. He would have to get the original owner to apply along with the $60 fee.
You're probably better off buying from someone else. I live in Georgia, so it is not an issue for me or anyone in the state to buy from him via Bill of Sale, but won't work for a member of any state now that the SF97 has not been applied for by the original owner. Not sure what a certificate of origin really is.
Anyway, You have motivated me to pay the $60 so I can sell to anyone, anywhere.

gimpyrobb

Dell, did he say what age it was? Also, you guys are hung up on these SF97s. They were not always used. 2 of the trucks I own came with out titles or SF97s.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A certificate of orgin comes with parts like motorcycle frames and engine cases proving they where manufactured legally these are for aftermarket parts which typically have VIN numbers stamped in them

Gimpy, 1971 40 years old

Last edited:

3dAngus

Yes, he cited it as a 1971.
Also, he quoted the La. Law requirement where the SF97 was one of three acceptable forms of ownership paperwork within his state. I think that is why everyone is looking in that direction, as it is the primary method of ownership transfer at GL while simultaneously meeting his needs within his state.

gimpyrobb

I missed that. As it is a 71, he can't get a title, you are correct. I'd say find a different one or try a title service. Some places can get you a bonded title too. Might look into that option.

papercu

What you need is a Georgia tag registration in your name then La would issue you a title. I don't know the legal requirement for residence, maybe you can "rent" a address for a day or two and then you "move" back to La. IMO Wayne

joestewart

Is there something about the Georgia deuce that makes it desireable? If not, I would forget about it and buy a rig with a title and buy in state (or at least somewhere closer than Georgia). You will save a ton of money and spare yourself huge headaches. Aren't there some deuces on GL right now that are located at Camp Beauregard? I checked Craigslist and there are three deuces in Acadiana ranging from $4000 to $5500. One in Avery Island, one in New Iberia, one in Carencro. You could probably find a bargain if you placed a "wanted" ad on craigslist or the local classified paper (there used to be an advertising paper in BR called "The Shopper" - I scored a few great bargains with want ads in that paper). The wanted ads were free of charge. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks