• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready to paint - whats the "proper" prep p

dma251

I am getting ready to shoot some Gillespie tan on a buddy's Toyota truck, and I am using it as a learnig opportunity before I start spraying my HEMTT.

We are going to use the Gillespie current issue tan with Gillespie Redox primer first, and I am going to try it with a synthetic enamel hardener.

So far from my searching I gather that a good ratio to start with is 8:3:1.

My question is probably a no-brainer for most of you painting guys - How do you mix up your ratios when the cup on the gun (Harbor freight gravity fed) is only 32 oz?

Do you mix up a gallon at a time in a seperate container and then refill the sprayer cup? Do you mix it straight into the sprayer cup? What measuring devices do you use to get the portions correct? I bought a spraygun stand to make life a little easier...

getting ready to start painting this week, so please give me some advice quick!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Getting ready to paint - whats the "proper" pr

The local paint supply house, Napa in my town, gives out mixing cups, stirrers and filter funnels when someone buys paint. The mixing cups are great. They show all of the different ratios on the side. I usually mix up one or two gun cups worth of paint depending on how quickly I am laying it down. Any more than that and it will start filming over before I can use it all. I wouldn't mix a whole gallon at a time. I always pour through the filter funnel to prevent any clogging from clumps, filming or other debris. It doesn't take much to plug up a gun.

dma251

RE: Getting ready to paint - whats the "proper" pr

Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'll be sure to get that stuff at NAPA - that's where I'm getting the hardener.

dma251

Hey - this is a beater truck that is gonna be good practice for me - that's it!

Besides - this way whatever mistakes I make on the Toyota, I will be looking out for when I paint my AMERICAN STEEL Oshkosh!

If the paint sticks for a month, It'll get my neighbor off my back about painting his rig, and that's okay with me.

OSO

Hey Damon ! need some practice, go to the foot bridge cross the river head south on Jordan rd. drop down to the river around 15200 Jordan rd you can squirt some paint on my m139 bridge support truck Just kidding OSO [thumbzup]

N1265

I only mix a qt at a time. Altho I get most of my stuff at the DUPONT dealer, you can buy the mixing cups at wal-mart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks