• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie / Rapco Paint Samples / Colors

bbftx

Thought I'd share some paint samples for those interested in having color comparison of some of the Gillespie Coatings paints.
Rapco's samples on their website are helpful, but they aren't the best since they look like they were taken indoors. My pics are outside in bright sunlight. I've color-corrected these images and set the white balance based on the bright white paper included in the photo. If your computer monitor is color-calibrated, these should give you a pretty good idea of actual paint color. If you haven't calibrated your monitor, you'll at least get some relative comparisons between the paint codes.
I am considering different paint schemes for my Volvo Sugga project, and I thought it would be helpful to share my samples. I'm probably going with FS 24052 for my project.
BBF TX
Volvo-Sugga

Attachments

wsucougarx

Outstanding my friend!!! Thank you so much for posting this thread. Definately will help out when I order paint. In fact I almost submitted my RAPCO order about 20 min but decided to stop to see if the color was what I wanted. I was hoping to find some Gillespie painted trucks with the color I wanted. Low and behold this popped up;-)

forest522

Thank you sit! I have recently bought several cans of the carc substitute tan and a couple of gallons of the same for painting my M1009. I've done some interior work with the rattle cans and have been very impressed with the quality and the durability. Rapco/Gillespie is quality stuff!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to throw a wet blanket on your "thank you" party, but for the uninspired, uninitiated and altogether misunderstood, can someone point me in the dirrection of matching the fine examples of numbered colors to an era, conflict, camo pattern, TM or elsewhere that would let me know which color is correct for a '72 5ton. Thanks in advance!

Ok - Party can resume now...

Katahdin

What primer did you use? The color of the primer will affect the overall tint of the sample. Example, for most accurate results use a red oxide primer with 24087.

bbftx

Having heard there was a difference based on which primer was used, I experimented with both the Gillespie red oxide and black oxide spray primers. With two top coats, there was no distinguishable difference in final color, whether using red oxide or black oxide.
In fact, the top row of colors in the photos used black primer for the lower portion of the sample, and red primer for the upper portion of the samples. I can't see a difference in tint at all when I hold them in bright light.

brazengoat06

Thought I'd share some paint samples for those interested in having color comparison of some of the Gillespie Coatings paints.
Rapco's samples on their website are helpful, but they aren't the best since they look like they were taken indoors. My pics are outside in bright sunlight. I've color-corrected these images and set the white balance based on the bright white paper included in the photo. If your computer monitor is color-calibrated, these should give you a pretty good idea of actual paint color. If you haven't calibrated your monitor, you'll at least get some relative comparisons between the paint codes.
I am considering different paint schemes for my Volvo Sugga project, and I thought it would be helpful to share my samples. I'm probably going with FS 24052 for my project.
BBF TX
Volvo-Sugga
34094 in PPG looks much darker on their samples compared to your pics, is PPG different than RAPCO? Trying to find matching paint for hood.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i hope this does not hijack the thread, but what color OD green did they paint the ammo cans and jerry cans? it seems like a vietnam era color. I like that color a lot and it would be nice to see that color next to the others if you have that shade in your pictures. Thank you for posting this, it is helpful.

bbftx

34094 in PPG looks much darker on their samples compared to your pics, is PPG different than RAPCO? Trying to find matching paint for hood.

Hi brazengoat,
I haven't compared Gillespie colors to freshly painted PPG paints in real life, so can't comment really. I believe both Gillespie Coatings and PPG are authorized, mil-spec paint suppliers, so I would assume they each have the capability to produce the correct color paint, on spec.

Are you looking at actual painted metal samples of the PPG, or color samples on the computer?

I think your biggest problem might be color change due to fading over time, as compared to the freshly painted color differing between suppliers.
Cheers,

bbftx

what color OD green did they paint the ammo cans and jerry cans? it seems like a vietnam era color. I like that color a lot and it would be nice to see that color next to the others if you have that shade in your pictures. Thank you for posting this, it is helpful.
Hi Tom,
Hard to say exactly what color you're thinking of, since I've seen many, many different greens on ammo boxes and jerry cans. Amongst my dad's stuff for example, there is a rather bright green jerry can --- brighter than any of the greens in my samples. But he also has a number of ammo boxes that I like that are closer to 24052 in color.

Last edited:

brazengoat06

Hi brazengoat,
I haven't compared Gillespie colors to freshly painted PPG paints in real life, so can't comment really. I believe both Gillespie Coatings and PPG are authorized, mil-spec paint suppliers, so I would assume they each have the capability to produce the correct color paint, on spec.

Are you looking at actual painted metal samples of the PPG, or color samples on the computer?

I think your biggest problem might be color change due to fading over time, as compared to the freshly painted color differing between suppliers.
Cheers,
Thanks for the two cents, I ordered some rapco 34094 so hopefully it matches.

brazengoat06

Paint showed up, looks like a great match. Very happy about that! Didn't find any info on dry time? Sat for several hours and is still a bit soft. Also realized i didn't primer as per instructions even though it already has paint on it. Is this ok?

armyjeffries

Well, this is awesome. I wish I had found this before registering. I am in the Indiana National Guard and decided that it was time that the bike needed a new paint job. I thought an Army theme would be cool. I have been searching for a couple weeks all throughout the interwebz to pick the right paint. I was torn between MILSPRAY and Rapco, but was finally persuaded to rapco, and then couldn't decide on a color. I really wanted a DARK OD. This is a great comparison. I am still undecided between 34094, 34079, and maybe 24052. If anyone has pictures of vehicles painted these colors that would greatly appreciated! I'll be doing it as a solid color. Also, is the CARC paint the only one that would hold up well on the gas tank (for gas spillage reasons?)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys might want to check out TM9 Restorations paint products http://tm9ordnance.com/index.asp. He has done a lot of research into mil spec paints (which is all on his website) and he makes a great paint (Catalyzed Urethane) which has worked well for me. It seems a bit pricey, but I've been told by body shops and car painters that actually it is pretty cheap (comparatively).

Anyway, it is a great site for the research alone.

Storm 51

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks