• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Giving up the Tornado in my 67 M715

4STARDAD

Hey y'all... I'm thinking of swapping my Tornado out for a Chevy inline 6....looking at the kits from Novak...but I want to keep the 24v system because all my lights including the blackouts work....but how do I get the 12v starter and distributor to work on the 24v system? I found a converter for the distributor,but what about the starter? Thanks!!

Reactions: HDN

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the old Stove Bolts. It will give you some good power compared to the Tornado and no issues. Keep us posted.

Mark
Hey the Tornado is actually not too bad in the power dept. And it's a hemi! Problem with it is the same as the Ford Triton engines, crappy timing chain design.

HDN

Didn't the Jeep Gladiator have a different motor in it that was more reliable. I thought the Tornado was a lousy motor Jeep had a warehouse full of and they decided to dump them in the Army's trucks.

Would any kind of diesel fit in the M715?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't the Jeep Gladiator have a different motor in it that was more reliable. I thought the Tornado was a lousy motor Jeep had a warehouse full of and they decided to dump them in the Army's trucks.

The block is different from the civilian 230 and the military, so the “warehouse “ story doesn’t sound plausible. The 230 was introduced in the early 1960s in various full size Jeep vehicles. I believe the engine was discontinued in 1966 but brought back for the M715 series. Probably to let Uncle pay for some of the development cost of the not very high selling civilian engine. If Jeep had put a better engine in the 715, Uncle would have probably kept the truck to this day like the Korean version.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was also a 292 Stove Bolt and that made great power. I remember offenhauser had an intake so you could use a Holley 4bbl which was really cool. Very tough motors those old Stove Bolts.

Mark

Barrman

Does your engine have the bell housing starter mount or the block mount? Here is a bell housing mount 24 volt:

If yours is block mount. Figure out if it is a straight or angled bolt mount. Then search for a 24 volt version. Construction equipment, military vehicles and the C70 size trucks used 24 volt in some applications.

4STARDAD

Yeah you can fit anything under that big hood... Gotta friend with a 725 with a 86 Chevy military diesel V8

4STARDAD

I also have to agree that the Tornado is a good engine when operated at reasonable rpms and good maintenance. I got rid of mine because of massive rear main seal leakage.
That's why it won't work in the 715 because of the high geared rear end which is 4.65 if think....and the 230 maxes HP at 4000 rpm....not a good combo

4STARDAD

Does your engine have the bell housing starter mount or the block mount? Here is a bell housing mount 24 volt:

If yours is block mount. Figure out if it is a straight or angled bolt mount. Then search for a 24 volt version. Construction equipment, military vehicles and the C70 size trucks used 24 volt in some applications.
Yeah my mechanic and me just figured that out today....marrying the 6 with its manual bellhousing to the 715's 4 speed...if it'd been the automatic trans bellhousing,the 24 volt Chevy starters from the 80's would've bolted right up

4STARDAD

There was also a 292 Stove Bolt and that made great power. I remember offenhauser had an intake so you could use a Holley 4bbl which was really cool. Very tough motors those old Stove Bolts.

Mark
Yep....trying to find one without success...turns out hot rudders love the 292s for the torque

4STARDAD

Yeah my mechanic and me just figured that out today....marrying the 6 with its manual bellhousing to the 715's 4 speed...if it'd been the automatic trans bellhousing,the 24 volt Chevy starters from the 80's would've bolted right up
I just looked at that starter...i think it may work...mine bolts straight in like that with the short bolts....the automatic trannys used the long bolts bolting under the bellhousing

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I'd dig around for a good 4-53N Detroit, and run the Spicer 3053 5-speed from the M35 trucks.

140 Hp, bunches of torque and happy up to 3K RPM, and the unmistakable snarl of the Roots blower. The simplest design Diesel of all time.

Just because I love 'em.

DG

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were mine, I'd dig around for a good 4-53N Detroit, and run the Spicer 3053 5-speed from the M35 trucks.

140 Hp, bunches of torque and happy up to 3K RPM, and the unmistakable snarl of the Roots blower. The simplest design Diesel of all time.

Just because I love 'em.

DG
Great motor but don't forget the 4-53T Silver.
The 53 series were a little noisy motor but a great two stroke with a turbo. Many 53s were used in bread trucks. They spin a little less than the 4BT and the 4BT motor has much more capabilities than the 53 series.

Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks