• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GKN Wheels???

BruceB

A word of explanation:

My bobbed Deuce arrived recently with four wheels (mounting 1400-20 Michelins), and no spare. A friend delivered a 1400-20 tire on a standard Deuce split rim from Dollarman for interim spare duty....not ideal, I know, especially with that fat tire. (That tire is already flat, by the way, without ever being on the truck.)

Looking at the wheels on the truck, I see they are marked "GKN USA 11W20" and a serial number, which I deduce to mean a US-made wheel of 20" diameter and 11" width.

I just spent about a half-hour trying to find a place with a listing of wheel sizes from this outfit. There are MANY hits on a Google search for "GKN wheel", but no actual size/price info that I was able to find.

can anyone help with this? much appreciated, as usual.

Bruce

BruceB

Well, I'll be jiggered...it actually worked!

These were taken just after the request for photos, so...about 3/4 hour back?
The angle of the sun was fairly-low, as can be seen in the photos, but it may have helped reveal some detail....maybe.

My wife does good work!

ODdave

Locating these may be dificult being they are not military. I think you may find the markings are for the ring only and have no berring on the center that is welded into them.

Last edited:

BruceB

I've been to the OD Iron website a number of times. Without a doubt, that is the MOST USELESS website that I've ever had occasion to visit.

WHAT wheels at OD Iron? I just searched the place, and there is not one single wheel to be found. Are they trying to hide them? They apparently don't have any sort of catalog worthy of the name; how do customers find out what's available?

OD really needs a good website designer to revamp the whole thing.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry I got called away after I asked for pics. Yes those look like ODiron rims and yes they stopped offering them. The A3 rim is 20x11 also and I think is an MPT rim design like those rims. I think I know someone with an A3 rim if you want to get something close to what you have.

BruceB

" I think I know someone with an A3 rim if you want to get something close to what you have."

That would be very nice indeed (as long as the price is reasonable, natch).

I'm not as concerned about having the exact same "style" wheel for the spare as I am about getting a wheel with similar dimensions for offset etc.

Thanks for all the input!

BruceB

Howdy, group...and happy New Year!

I started this thread last August, and STILL have not located a dealer to sell me a GKN wheel to match the four on my bobbed Deuce.

So, I have a question. Do y'all think I can get away with using a Goodyear 14.00-20 tire as a SPARE ONLY on a stock Deuce rim until I can find a proper wheel? Steering issues/clearances, maybe?

(The tires on the truck are Michelin XL, and the spare, picked up at 100dollarman in southern California by a friend, was SUPPOSED to be the same. Due to some wrong communication, a Goodyear was what arrived here in NV. Probably close enough for use as a spare.)

It's been quite a saga, trying to get this truck legally on-road. Hopefully the last hoops are about to be jumped-through and I can actually DRIVE IT, along about next week-end.

Any advice is much-appreciated.

B

BruceB

Yep, many thanks. I must have missed it when first posted.

I went to their website...quite different and interesting. I didn't see any actual listing of merchandise, so I reckon I'll do as you suggested and give 'em a call. It sure seems they can do just about anything.

bjsmith, thank you for theinfo re: 14.00-20 tires on the stock Deuce rim. It confirms what I was thinking....for SPARE ONLY use, I should be good-to-go.

B

PROSTOCKTOM

Clint at C&C Equipment has a similar looking set of wheels on one of his bobbed dueces

that's for sale. You might check with him and see where his came from.

Good Luck in your search.

Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks