• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glove box hinge fix

Drock

So I'm doing some organizing in the cab of my M1028 sense space is soo limited in the cabs of these trucks. And I want to utilize all the little nooks & crannies as best as possible, to hold all my supplies needed for my business. The plastic glove box door has bin broken sense I bought the truck. I remembered I had a scrap piece of stainless steel piano hinge laying around that was EXACTLY the correct size[thumbzup]. I undid the 4 screws holding the metal outer door face to the plastic liner. And wedged a block of wood in between the two to give me access to roll up some PIG putty & stuff it in there. Then could lay the hinge over that and screw the door face back on squeezing it all back together. Once it dried I simply latched the door in place, lined it up, and ran 3 self tappers into the bottom of the dash. Oh and I hung a roll of paper shop towels from some bungee cords..20180305_152303.jpg20180305_152315.jpg

Last edited:

n8roro

Looks just like mine!

Do you have any genious ideas for missing "custom deluxe" plastic trim?

Drock

I like the towel rack idea.
Thanks, Yeah I'm on the lookout for something a little more permanent, but just not made of metal. So as to break away in the event of an accident. The best thing I've added so far is a trash bag. You'd be amazed how much cleaner a work/daily driver is once you have a place for the trash.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the hinge broke on mine, I realized that I don't need that dumb door anyway. Blanked it off.
View attachment 721503
Kinda extreme but to each his own.
Would possibly look better painted OD

The hinge is an easy fix.
Mine was almost in two and I drilled multiple small holes on both sides of split.
Then used .025 aircraft safety wire and basically sewed the almost two pieces together.
Very strong and glove box opens and shuts without any issue.
Worked perfect and, unless someone intentionally tries to tear it apart, will last for years.

Looks like you spent more time and effort doing that instead of simply fixing it.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kinda extreme but to each his own.
Would possibly look better painted OD

The hinge is an easy fix.
Mine was almost in two and I drilled multiple small holes on both sides of split.
Then used .025 aircraft safety wire and basically sewed the almost two pieces together.
Very strong and glove box opens and shuts without any issue.
Worked perfect and, unless someone intentionally tries to tear it apart, will last for years.

Looks like you spent more time and effort doing that instead of simply fixing it.
The standard 19 inch rack mount blank was an easy install with the nut-sert tool. In the future, if i want to put something electronic there, its ready to receive a standard size instrument.

On the trail, the door would pop open dumping the contents, I'm better off with out it. The trail tells me what mods are good and what mods not so much.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks