• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GLOW PLUG MAINTENANCE

Inspector 1

I have been reviewing a lot of conversations about very difficult glow plug removal. Is it better to replace glow plugs on a regular maintenance type schedule long before they become a problem and if so what would that replacement schedule be?

papakb

The glow plugs in a normal system last for years. I think I changed to the newer non-swelling type maybe 12+ years ago so they do not need to be changed out on a regular cycle. Occasionally you will have one fail but it's not an indication that all of them are getting ready to go. Make sure you observe good electrical practices when working on your truck and make sure your electrical connections are all clean and tight.

Disconnect your batteries any time your doing more that swapping out a lightbulb to protect the control box.

Inspector 1

The glow plugs in a normal system last for years. I think I changed to the newer non-swelling type maybe 12+ years ago so they do not need to be changed out on a regular cycle. Occasionally you will have one fail but it's not an indication that all of them are getting ready to go. Make sure you observe good electrical practices when working on your truck and make sure your electrical connections are all clean and tight.

Disconnect your batteries any time your doing more that swapping out a lightbulb to protect the control box.
The individual That I bought my HMMWV from last year told me that he recently replaced all the glow plugs. He also gave me a bag with 8 extra glow plugs. How can I tell if they are the non swelling type glow plug?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
They all will open circuit, swell up, melt, blow out, split, maybe even break off... if given too long of an on time.

ON CYCLE TIME and at CHARGED battery voltage is the killer. There's a bit more to it that that... but glow plugs are basically a "short circuit" turning electron into a quick toaster.

The PCB is the ON CYCLE TIME controller. If the CPU hiccups or brain farts, relay sticks, FET's give up the smoke with ON time... POOF.

20 seconds ON and NO off time and POOF. Eight times ten dollars, another POOF out of the wallet... IF your lucky.

Simplified for lack of bandwidth and time. POOF, CAMO

Inspector 1

These are the glow plugs that were given to me when I purchased HMMWV last year. They look like they are used so I'm assuming that they were taken out and replaced with new. Are these non-swelling or standard glow plugs? On the left side of pic 4 have a longer tip. Any reason for this? I appreciate the glow plug education 101.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks