• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat lubrication

Aussiecowboy

Can someone please confirm or deny for me that the correct oil for the gearbox, transfer case and diffs is just plain 80/90 gear oil?

Also, how are the Uni joints greased, no way to get a grease gun onto the nipples.

Thanks.

Yeah mate,

GO 80/90. So says LO-9-2320-242-12, you're not in what i'd call arctic conditions or below 0F in Echuca.

There's a mil spec for it if you want to look it up MIL-L-2105, cross ref to civilian is the same according to document at
http://www.le-international.com/pdf/079-gear-oils.pdf.

No mention of a special tool for uni greasing, check the recent build threads, i seem to recall some discussion of it.

Spock

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I have been able to grease all of mine with a standard grease gun. I did grind a flat face on one side of the end to make it fit easier in some places and use a flexible hose. I did change out a few fittings to 90 degree to make it easier as well on the outer center axle u joints. It is a trial in patience for sure, a lot of mine had not seen grease for a long time.

Last edited:
Just to resurrect this briefly, i've been reading that the "D" spec gear oil is equivalent to GL5, but there is a risk of damage to yellow metal components due to high sulphur content. i'm also picking up that the GL5 may not be friendly in the GL4 designed LSD and/or synchro systems.

Has anyone run across issues with this or a TM describing issues or limitations on the older gear sets?

Spock

m38inmaine

I used GL5 in everything but the transmission and transfer, there I used GL4 yellow metal friendly oil. Also added Lucas to the transfer.

Jericho

I use a grease "needle" about 6 inches long and a standard head , no problems, Run regular GL 5 rated 80 weight , Usually from Wal-Mart and would echo Mark (M38 in Maine, Lucas in all my cases especially the X fer case !
I also add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel per 40 gallons (there is NO lubricating lead in new diesel, and I add 1 quart to the crank case, If you don't have it in Aussie , its basicly automatic transmission fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks