• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to hook at my first HMMWV Today!

rolling18

wanting to know what specifically to look for on these things other than the usual "used car" stuff?
specific options ?

the one I'm looking at buying
is 2002 16,900 mi. fording kit, pickup/ troop carrier cover, out of california depot. "good condition"
new batteries, need fuel filter..what "absolutes" would i need to buy?

I want to get a winch down the line.. Hydraulic or electric? (front and rear)
what would be a "reasonable" cost if everything works and runs good with no - little blow by?

Whew!
thanks for any advice / help!
Marc

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you go to start it and the engine is cold you turn the lever or key to run (not start) and observe the wait light on the dash.

The light should stay on for about seven seconds then you rotate the lever or key to start. She should fire immediately up. Check the coolant expansion tank to make sure the coolant look normal and not dark and dirty (possible head gasket issue).

Drive it and see how she shifts and you should not see any exhaust smoke. Look where the alt gauge is when driving. It should be just inside the green. Once she reaches operating temperature (around 230 degrees) the fan should kick on and you will know when it does.

Listen for the usual noises when turning and breaking that may indicate a problem. Look to see if the back side of the hubs are wet as they should not be. Come to a stop and and check out the transfer case operation to make sure she goes into H and HL and LL. Hope you are good at spinning wrenches as these trucks require a fair amount of maintenance. These trucks are not power monsters so don't expect much. Let us know how you make out and take some pics. Hope this helps.

Mark

rolling18

When you go to start it and the engine is cold you turn the lever or key to run (not start) and observe the wait light on the dash.

The light should stay on for about seven seconds then you rotate the lever or key to start. She should fire immediately up. Check the coolant expansion tank to make sure the coolant look normal and not dark and dirty (possible head gasket issue).

Drive it and see how she shifts and you should not see any exhaust smoke. Look where the alt gauge is when driving. It should be just inside the green. Once she reaches operating temperature (around 230 degrees) the fan should kick on and you will know when it does.

Listen for the usual noises when turning and breaking that may indicate a problem. Look to see if the back side of the hubs are wet as they should not be. Come to a stop and and check out the transfer case operation to make sure she goes into H and HL and LL. Hope you are good at spinning wrenches as these trucks require a fair amount of maintenance. These trucks are not power monsters so don't expect much. Let us know how you make out and take some pics. Hope this helps.

Mark
thanks for the response!
sounds like some great starter info!

I am fairly adept at wench turning... have owned and highly modified a 71 M35A2 for several years!! (in my sig/ pic) so that where Im coming from..

I have not seen the H1 yet in person so I dont have much info to go on other than whats in the add..

almost forgot this is the 6.5 Litre
would like to eventually turbo it!?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it run? I suspect if it is listed as needing a fuel filter it ether does not run or runs poorly in ether of those cases it will probably need an IP pump replaced, (read 2K or so total) many "pretty" trucks out of CA have bad pumps because they used JP in them.
Don't worry about accessories like winches until you have a good FULLY serviced truck to begin with, if you buy it replace ALL fluids and filters first before parading around the neighborhood.
There is no way to asses its value only given the details you listed.
Adding a turbo is a relatively expensive proposition, to go factory turbo you have to change the heads and after market turbo setups are around 4K
If you want a turbo truck then buy a turbo truck, plenty out there.

rolling18

Does it run? I suspect if it is listed as needing a fuel filter it ether does not run or runs poorly in ether of those cases it will probably need an IP pump replaced, (read 2K or so total) many "pretty" trucks out of CA have bad pumps because they used JP in them.
Don't worry about accessories like winches until you have a good FULLY serviced truck to begin with, if you buy it replace ALL fluids and filters first before parading around the neighborhood.
There is no way to asses its value only given the details you listed.
Adding a turbo is a relatively expensive proposition, to go factory turbo you have to change the heads and after market turbo setups are around 4K
If you want a turbo truck then buy a turbo truck, plenty out there.
I was wondering about the fuel filter, it seems that if it needed replacing they would do it with the other maint?
its an M1123

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the listing says it needs a fuel filter that is a huge red flag, if it needed one they would have replaced it, I suspect they are trying to cover up something else.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also you need to budget a new set of tires, just about all trucks coming out of DRMO have very old tires, the ones out of CA are known to almost all have tire issues.

rolling18

yes it DEFINATLY needs tire, i could see that from the pics and they are the old style 998 treds not the newer MT 's

speakingof tires.. can a normal tire/ truck shop replace these? i think they are bead lock / runflat but not sure ....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it does not run well do not buy it, you can remove the dog house and inspect the IP from the rear (look for rust on the bottom of the IP for one thing), but you should inspect everything, gear hubs, half shafts.
Tell them you want it cold when you come to look at it and as stated above watch the wait light and then it should start right up, be suspicious if it is already "warmed up" when you get there, also does it have doors? good top? Upholstery? wiring? lights? glass?,,all this you will be dealing with long before adding any bling

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires!!! You will need tires. I got 1,000 miles before first blowout. I still haven’t changed my fuel filter yet. If someone wanted to buy it then I would have to tell them that it needs to be done. I bought a really nice m1123 with 132 miles on it and it runs great. I decided that I wanted Hardtop and a/c with turbo. Cheaper to buy a new truck than to add it. I bought a m1165 that doesn’t run but it looks really nice in the driveway. Lol

rolling18

If it does not run well do not buy it, you can remove the dog house and inspect the IP from the rear (look for rust on the bottom of the IP for one thing), but you should inspect everything, gear hubs, half shafts.
Tell them you want it cold when you come to look at it and as stated above watch the wait light and then it should start right up, be suspicious if it is already "warmed up" when you get there, also does it have doors? good top? Upholstery? wiring? lights? glass?,,all this you will be dealing with long before adding any bling
exellent idea on the "cold start"
Doors standard floppy vinyl doors, top looks good, but its pickup config now (thats how id use it) , havent seen it in person yet but glass looks good, led headlights ,
also agreed after reading al these suggestions about adding the extras.. they will have to wait till the rest is upto spec!

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn’t buy a truck from but 1 or 2 people that I trust their work. Everyone wants to add a bunch of stuff and wiring nightmares… I would rather take my chances with GP. I’m happy with both of my auction trucks and I couldn’t buy them from anyone for what I have in them. How much are they asking for mystery truck?

Last edited:

rolling18

Tires!!! You will need tires. I got 1,000 miles before first blowout. I still haven’t changed my fuel filter yet. If someone wanted to buy it then I would have to tell them that it needs to be done. I bought a really nice m1123 with 132 miles on it and it runs great. I decided that I wanted Hardtop and a/c with turbo. Cheaper to buy a new truck than to add it. I bought a m1165 that doesn’t run but it looks really nice in the driveway. Lol
cool govt auction prices seem really high now for the turbo/ A/CC trucks... but I also prefer working with a "known problems" truck as I dont feel comfortable buying from auction unless someone who knows what to look for can inspect/ help

I dont HAVE to have turbo / AC buuuuut :) would be nice

rolling18

I wouldn’t buy a truck from but 1 or 2 people that I trust their work. Everyone wants to add a bunch of stuff and wiring nightmares… I would rather take my chances with GP. I happy with both of my auction trucks and I couldn’t buy them from anyone for what I have in them. How much are they asking for mystery truck?
agreed on wiring nightmares!! seems just about every truck i look at (civilian) has had homade wiring hacky jobs done

rolling18

I wouldn’t buy a truck from but 1 or 2 people that I trust their work. Everyone wants to add a bunch of stuff and wiring nightmares… I would rather take my chances with GP. I happy with both of my auction trucks and I couldn’t buy them from anyone for what I have in them. How much are they asking for mystery truck?
want ing almost 18K ...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
want ing almost 18K ...
I have about that in my m1123 with shipping and taxes. My truck was basically new. My M1165 I’m still working on but I have 1,100 more in it so far. 2,600 if you count new injection pump. Auction is nothing more than an educated guess.

rolling18

I have about that in my m1123 with shipping and taxes. My truck was basically new. My M1165 I’m still working on but I have 1,100 more in it so far. 2,600 if you count new injection pump. Auction is nothing more than an educated guess.
NICE!
iI dont really have time to work with the logistics of checking out a rig, getting down there and driving it back to portland, all with uncertainty and problems that "may" come up..

Its worth it to me to spend a bit more to get a running sorted unit... or at least know what is needed... and go from there

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there is not much to see from the outside, if it is a big ball of rust would be the only visible indication from the outside, or leaking
It is really hard to tell someone what to look for as there is so much that can and in some cases not be a problem.
If it does not start and run and drive well and they are using "it needs a filter" than I would be very weary as it could be something as simple as a filter but not likely, expect the worst and hope for the best.
What you should do is check with someone that is known by the community as an honest person, Retired War Horses is one that is highly respected, you will pay more up front and allot less later on, and you can get what you want as far as model/acc. etc.

Some folks put lipstick on a pig and try to get rid of it, then some folks have some decent stuff that does just needs a little TLC, that is one of the great challenges in life..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks