• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Bad Ugly Gun Truck

poppop

Is there anyone out there that remembers or served around the Good Bad Ugly truck?? I have a friend that was in the Unit and he is interested in it. One of his story's is he and a friend that served on the truck drove onto a well populated helicopter field and removed one of its machine guns from a bird parked on the field. This gun was then mounted on the Good Bad Ugly.

KaiserM109

... and removed one of its machine guns from a bird parked on the field. This gun was then mounted on the Good Bad Ugly.
I can't tell you anything about the Good Bad Ugly, but I can tell you a similar story. I served with 15th Combat Engr. Bn, 9th Infantry Division in 1968. We (9th ID) were the first (and only) unit to hold ground south of Saigon and the 15th was in the vanguard to Dong Tam.

Being combat engineers, we had to supply our own security and we had 4 M113 APCs that had napalm cannons identical to the ones the Navy had on river boats, instead of M2 50s. It could shoot a stream of napalm the size of my thumb 300 meters for 30 seconds. Our tracks were often called in to assist other ground units. In July one was called in to secure the crash site of a Cobra gunship and destroy it. They salvaged the minigun and 40mm grenade launcher from the nose turret. They kept the launcher and mounted it on the back of an M151 with a hand crank in place of the servo motor.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial

Attachments

Last edited:

poppop

The second and third pictures are the one I am interested in. I had found those on the inter-net last week and showed them to my friend. He is really interested in finding anyone that was there at the same time he was which I think was 67 and 68. He also is interested in attending the next gathering of the gun trucks. Will it be in Tenn. again??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks