Got another deuce! M50 saved from the scrapper.

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

DavidWymore

Tank got scrapped but I got the truck.

The question is what next? Some bonehead cut the batt cables so I’ll fix that and put batts in it. Gotta clean out the tank. Suppose I could slave fuel and batts off the ‘70. But what about the shutoff cover being left off? Dare I try to clean it out and run it without removing the IP?

Attachments

77 AMG

Excellent save, sir! I would look at cleaning out the housing with some brake cleaner and see what it looks like from there. I believe that if everything looks still sealed, and moves without sticking, that you should probably be all right. My Deuce had been sitting under a fir tree for 3-4 years before I found it. The fuel cut-off was slightly sticky, with a *small* amount of oil in the housing. Cleaned it up/out, no troubles since.

rustystud

That injection pumps looks to be in pretty sad shape. I would remove it, clean it, then reinstall it.

NDT

Mmm, transfer PTO! Someone on here needs that for a pipeline deuce.

DavidWymore

I need to look at my junk pump that is uninstalled. The trick is to clean it out without the junk running further down into the pump or engine. Maybe remove some covers, spray, shop vac sucking out one cover and air blowing in another.

Tracer

I need to look at my junk pump that is uninstalled. The trick is to clean it out without the junk running further down into the pump or engine. Maybe remove some covers, spray, shop vac sucking out one cover and air blowing in another.
Dave, I like these bring em back from the dead projects. Please keep us posted on this project as you progress.[thumbzup] Also I agree with Rusty's post. Remove the IP, clean, inspect, and reinstall the IP.

DavidWymore

if I ever finish my '62, that will be the back-from-the-dead rebuild. Mainly got this one because I don't have any TD blocks. We'll see how it goes. Want to build a bobber maybe to sell and maybe a modified 6x6 offroader, stripped down with lockers etc. Need to start selling parts though, I'm out of fun $ and have 4 other projects too. Merry Christmas to me, and to y'all!. :)

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
I have a spare M50 tank with the PTO shaft and rear sprocket still on it .

It was in a rollover, but you can cut the outer aluminum skin off and remove the insulation and the inner tank is fine, build your own enclosure or leave it be .

Looks like someone already found an old metal top for you at least anyway, nice score I love the water trucks .