• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my deuce stuck the other day...

On super bowl Sunday I went for a trip to lake Sardis with my roommate before the game for Sunday funday. We had our fun doing some wheeling and met with some friends who were shooting guns. I got to shoot my buddies S&W 500 which was awesome. It started getting dark and my alternator doesn't charge right (gotta get on that) so my roommate and I agreed it'd be best to head back before it got too dark. On our track back out of the lake bed about an eighth mile from the entrance there was an F-150 stuck out about 200 yards away from the shore. *know that right now the lake is drained and the shoreline goes out about 400+ yds*

I figured I'd go over and give him a quick tug and be on my way. I slipped the truck in low range and engaged the front axle, as I started tracking out towards the lake victim I started to get worried about the ground I was driving on. I stopped about 75 yds away to asses the situation further and after further inspection I decided against my better judgement to attempt to pull him "I just got this thing, I shouldn't but I really wanna pull him with it." Stupid!

I jumped back back in the truck and pulled up and around to back in for the pull. As soon as I stopped backing up I felt the front end sink about a foot. I put it in first and tried to ease up out of it and she just went deeper. That's where she sat. The whole surface now looked like a trampoline and when you broke through it was soupy, sandy, clay underneath. I attempted extraction multiple times between classes over the next couple of days, but couldn't get it by myself. I didn't know many people up here as I'm living here in Oxford while I'm going to school so I had to make plans for Saturday with friends and their friends to get the right equipment for the job and get it done.

Finally after a long rainy week Saturday came and I found myself at the lake with a party of 10 that turned into 50+ people by the time it was said and done. Awesome! We started getting our rigging together and deciding who was going to have what job. I had dug out the front axle while waiting on people first thing so that was taken care of. Eventually here's what we put together
a Tahoe (w/ 14k lb winch and snatch block) and 2 Jeeps (w/ 10000 lb winches) as winch vehicles and 2 F-250s and a Silverado as a deadman anchor to each winch truck. We lost the Tahoe's winch halfway through the pull, so we repositioned the two jeeps and started pulling again. Shortly after the two anchr truck on the jeeps started pulling also and she popped right out. A successful day. Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

datadawg

That is awesome! When I saw the photo of the jeep with the tow line I had to chuckle. But then realized it was a bee hive pull, with a lot of buzzing bees at work. Glad you got her out. Thankfully, this was not a low tide, high tide ordeal... that would have made things very dicey.

Also, it snowed here in Oxford yesterday, my first time in this much snow at home and my first official snow day. Took a couple pics of the deuce in the snow and included some of The Grove, Vaught Hemmingay Stadium, and Ole Miss campus covered in snow. Sorry I've been as excited as a little kid at laser tag with all this snow. That's a snow fort on the 50 yd line in pic 6, it was a war zone out there. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the front has been submerged like this be sure no water and crud got into your front axle, especially at the ends where the steering universal joints are. Check the boots there to see that there are no tears or holes in them. If water and crud got past the boots and into these joints they need disassembled from the wheels inward and cleaned. Replace with good grease pack and new boots replacing the torn or damaged ones.
Regards Martin

dmetalmiki

After the front has been submerged like this be sure no water and crud got into your front axle, especially at the ends where the steering universal joints are. Check the boots there to see that there are no tears or holes in them. If water and crud got past the boots and into these joints they need disassembled from the wheels inward and cleaned. Replace with good grease pack and new boots replacing the torn or damaged ones.
Regards Martin
Absalutely support that. And well done figuring out that pull. Well thought out and sucesfull. Very nice pictures as well.

Hainebd

Looks like fun. Glad you got it/him/her out before tide came in. I know that type of ground real well. Best not to stop at all but it was a far walk.

rustystud

Absalutely support that. And well done figuring out that pull. Well thought out and sucesfull. Very nice pictures as well.
That's one thing about winching and pulling. If you know what your doing, you can do amazing things like the winching backwards trick. Once I had to remove an engine with the truck on a 60 degree hill ! The truck was a gonner , but it had a good engine. It was wedged in real bad against some trees and large boulder. Only a crane could have gotten it out. So since I wanted the engine I had to figure out a way to lift the engine and get it to the road which was 40ft above the truck. Using several snatch blocks and come-alongs we where able to get it out and up the hill and into the bed of my truck. Took my buddy and me about 3hrs of hard work.

That's one thing about winching and pulling. If you know what your doing, you can do amazing things like the winching backwards trick. Once I had to remove an engine with the truck on a 60 degree hill ! The truck was a gonner , but it had a good engine. It was wedged in real bad against some trees and large boulder. Only a crane could have gotten it out. So since I wanted the engine I had to figure out a way to lift the engine and get it to the road which was 40ft above the truck. Using several snatch blocks and come-alongs we where able to get it out and up the hill and into the bed of my truck. Took my buddy and me about 3hrs of hard work.
No pictures?

L
Hotty toddy , and been there done that a few times at Sardis although it seems like so long ago now
Hotty toddy, happy to see another Rebel on here. Sardis is still nasty as ever. When I was stuck I was at point 8. About 1/4 mile past me was a stuck car that had its rear control arm ripped off in a poor attempt to pull it out.

Thanks! Id hate to see what sort of contraption I would've had to rig up if that hadn't have worked.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks