• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Got my Tow Bar Working......"

OLDCHEV4X4

"Got my tow bar working.....But it just dont work on you" (Sing like Muddy Waters.) Actually it will work on all of you now.

I was up at Sephirothq's place a couple weeks ago to drop off a wrecker spade and look at his large fleet of trucks. (Good guy and lots of good trucks[thumbzup]). He was asking what i needed and so I rattled off some things, but no luck. So the last thing I could think of was a tow bar and bingo....he had a extra with no pins or feet. So I brought it home.

I think its a couple different tow bars put together. One leg has the MWO and everything else does not.

Attachments

OLDCHEV4X4

I assembled everything and now I know what you guys are talking about when you say you have to disassemble the thing to move it.. Its heavy!
So paint is next and then its time to fill the yard with trucks.....My wife will be SOOO happy!!

I think I will machine a MWO for the other leg, but not for the big tubes. That way it will still fold up.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OLDCHEVY4X4,
Looking good... I too started with 3/4" feet. Took me a while, but I DID manage to pick up a set with TWO pairs of 1" pins. I got them from Beltfed34 on Ebay. Very good man. Just realize he doesn't always have them. But contact him and get on his list and when more come in he will give you a heads up so you can buy it now first...

That's what I did. I LOVE my 1" feet.. I know, sounds weird... but true...

They do come in handy when you are ... ahem ... filling the yard with green ... uh ... lawn ornaments...

OLDCHEV4X4

Wallew,
I saw those 1" feet on ebay, and those things arnt cheap. The 3/4" feet are a little more afordable. If i ever get a Deuce I will have to bite the bullet or set the CNC mill up and make some.

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say the 1" feet I got were about $70 each. But for $140 plus s&h, it WAS WELL WORTH IT. Without this tow bar, ONE TOW from anywhere in Denver to my house would be well over what I paid for the bar AND the extra set of feet.

And yah, heavy doesn't quite cover it. I use my two wheel dolly to move mine. I also ALWAYS use a pair of heavy gloves cause these suckers 'bite' you when you least expect it.

But, I have used both the 3/4" feet AND the 1" feet and I gotta tell ya, I just felt safer. WAS I? Probably not. But maybe so just because I FELT that way. So maybe I drove safer for that reason.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good man! Gimpyrobb may have some of the MWO collars left. As far as machinig pins, they look spot on. When I bought my first towbar it was missing a few pins. Had a few turned out by a friend. I brought them home, heated them up and oil quenched them. Been working fine for the last decade or so.

OLDCHEV4X4

Looking good man! Gimpyrobb may have some of the MWO collars left. As far as machinig pins, they look spot on. When I bought my first towbar it was missing a few pins. Had a few turned out by a friend. I brought them home, heated them up and oil quenched them. Been working fine for the last decade or so.
Thanks for the complements guys.:-D

I did a search for tow bar MWO and i think Gimpy had a post with the sizes of the MWO collars. So I will just make them and weld one on.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm all about orginality. Hopefully they are still available, that post is from 08.
They are-Polverone isn't posting much, but he is "here" and his business is still going. He has a lot of his stuff on ebay as well.

tuckered

Where did you hook the safety chains when towing a CUCV? From one CUCV to another, the leader still has the footman's loop near the pintle hook, but since your using the loops at the front for the drawbar, where do you hook the chains to?

I had Always loved the tow-bars we had in our unit, because they work very well and were easy to use. We just didn't use the safety chains (in the field). Fortunately we rarely ever needed the tow-bars. Sure beats the snaught out of the ones you see for sale in most stores and stuff.

Thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I tow the CUCVs I put the safety chains around the front leaf springs! Pretty easy and is a stout place for them!

3dAngus

Yes, leftcoastdesign is alive and well. I bought some of these labels/decals from him last week for some hunter (Deuce/5ton and Cucv) towbars I'm restoring.

He does very nice work and is currently advertising on ebay. You will get a better price if you PM him though. I forgot that when I ordered from him and paid a slight fee, which only pays his ebay fees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks