• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got offered a MEP-007A...for free...should I take it ? What are they used for?

EwaMarine

What are they used for?
What should I be aware of ?
What is the sustainability?
The thing runs but wont idle.....thus the owner wants it gone....Wants me to come and get it. Seeking your guys advice!
Id love to run the hangar on it part of the time here.. Heres the only pic I could find for one...:.MEP-007B.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, take it! Wish I was closer, I'd snag it...

First thing I'd check is the throttle cable on the governor, see if it's adjusted right for fuel flow when idle. Could be the throttle is open when running, but when idling it's dang near closed.

EwaMarine

I gotta find way to move the **** thing I guess. Ill take your advice Mad dog and Alexsha. Ill repor back and take a ****load of pics...like I need one more project...lol!!

EwaMarine

Its sitting in kind of a tight spot on a pad...I gotta get a 10K forklift and fortunately only have to move it to our part of the flightline here at Barbers...Aerial shot of location prior....jpgdataplate from 6788.jpgMEP-007B at CAP building.jpg

Isaac-1

When you say it will not idle, do you mean it will not maintain frequency? You generally don't want generators to run at a low idle speed, for one like this you generally want it at 1800 rpms whenever it is running.

Ike

p.s. the data plate photo says it is MEP-007B not a MEP-007A

Last edited:

EwaMarine

LOL I just saw that !
My Name is Brad Hayes and Im a nomenclature failure!
Last time I saw it start it sounded good....but that was four years ago. At that time it would fire up but wouldnt stay running..When I get the opportunity Ill fire it up and play with it more...Last time I was a passing observer. Now CAP want me to take it , and ill try and find them a smaller replacement that meets the needs of their little building...lol..That gen was the ATC towers back up gen when it was a NAS Barbers and a little into Kalaeloa airport. The State replaced the gen with a CAT...
Which they dont take care of. lol

EwaMarine

I was thinking the same thing! pick it from over the fence on the street side then onto a 923 then over to the museum then out of the 923...onto a good pad...

Jeepsinker

Not even, just leave it hooked to the wrecker and drive it over to where you want. Just take it easy. Lower the boom to a safe level and extend it far enough that it doesn't swing and hit the truck. Of course how you do it is entirely up to you. Certainly safer your way, just more work. How far does it have to go?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't I see a M1061 trailer behind the truck you just recovered? That would would be a good resource for moving the genset.

Rick

Ray70

Wow, what a score! How can you beat 100KW genny for free, even if it needs work you're still way ahead of the game!
Good luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks