• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov. rebuild M35A3 from a M35A2

Billy Bobbed

Original built 1980 as M35A2 with 19,993 original miles

Rebuilt 1995 M35A3 by US Gov issued to the WV ARNG

I seen this in a listing,did they do this.:shock:

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They stripped them down, and used selected parts to build an A3.. There is actually alot in common with the A2's parts wise when looking at the whole truck.

jasonjc

I still don't see why it takes 2-3 too make one?!?!? New eng, new trans,new tires and wheels, axles are new or reworked? All they need is the frame, bed and cab. It's not like its longer or 4 door or a 12x12 or any thing like that.:roll::roll:

Maybe they rebuilt 1 and sold 2 under the table??:-|

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe truck A has a bent frame, but truck B has good axles.. They would basically strip the trucks down to frame rails, and save the good parts they would reuse for the A3's.

Billy Bobbed

I still don't see why it takes 2-3 too make one?!?!? New eng, new trans,new tires and wheels, axles are new or reworked? All they need is the frame, bed and cab. It's not like its longer or 4 door or a 12x12 or any thing like that.:roll::roll:

That is are tax money at work.SPEND,SPEND,SPEND.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Doesn't have anything to do with overspending, it actually saved money. How many trucks have really good sheetmetal? That was the problem and why it took 2-3 trucks to make an A3.

Silverback

Actually 3 serviceable trucks were sent to AM General to make 2 A3's. Best parts were used to rebuild with, except where new was specified. It was supposed to extend the service life of the trucks at a lower cost per unit than purchasing a complete new truck, didn't quite work out that way as the CTIS was problematic, the trucks actually required more maintenance, had to be jump started if the batteries were low or dead and wouldn't run as fast as an A2. I'm not dissing the A3, I'm just aware of their unique place in the MV world, if an A3 was a girl, she would be described as having a great personality. Dan.

markmontana

The two to one ratio came about from the large numbers- they took a supply of 6800 A2 trucks and built 3000 A3's. (I'm just making the numbers up- but fill in the correct numbers and the ratio works.)

They didn't pull two trucks out of the line and build yours.:lol: But the soul of the trucks live on...

renovate7

Well there is one thing I don't understand. My serial # is stamped on the frame under the front left fender. I don't see any evidence there was ever a previous # there. Does this mean this A3 started with a new frame? Do any of you with an A3 see any evidence of a previous # stamped on your frame?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks