• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grabby brakes on 1008

Sam27

Recently for the first few miles in the morning, my brakes are insanely grabby, likely nearly instantaneous lock in the rear. After a mile it starts getting better until it's back to normal. I haven't pulled the drum off yet to see if the pads have something on them, but I was wondering if anyone had seen this before, maybe in relation to the hydro-boost, or maybe the weight sensing proportioner these trucks have in back?

JohnFire

All Chevy's and GMC's that I have ever driven from 77 to early 90's have had sticky brakes when it rains or is a little damp out. Best thing I have ever done to manage this is to drive the first hundred or so feet with one foot on the brakes one on the accelerator. Same as you would do when you get your brakes wet off road. My bet is on the drum brakes retaining moisture.

Sam27

Thanks, I guess it's normal then. My 83 Blazer with drums never had this issue that I noticed, but maybe I was just lucky.

Tibby

I have the rear disc brake conversion. Not grabby, but they came with their own issue. I had to have both rear calipers rebuilt after not that many miles. I suppose it is from being in the spray from the front tires, especially the salt spray in winter.

AJMBLAZER

If you have organic or semi-organic brake shoes and pads this is VERY common. My wife's DD used to be an '03 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4 and from the factory it had organic pads. Whenever it was wet or cold out you could guarantee the first stop from speed was going to be like dropping an anchor accompanied by a LOUD squeal/groan.
I switched to metallics and it went away right then. Cut the brake dust to a fraction too.

My M1008 does occasionally and my Celebrity does the first or second application and my old Caprice did...I think it's just a normal Chevy thing. Backing up then stopping seems to help a little for me...shoes self-adjust and maybe pressure equals itself out a little.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks