• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grade 8 Starter Bolts?

91W350

Just go buy starter bolts. They are knurled and need to be the correct length. I bought some at a parts store, had better luck just buying the original stuff from GM. I started putting in new bolts anytime I have the starter rebuilt.

acmunro

They are metric. I think the GM ones are stamped 9.8 If you get GM starter bolts you will need to add a washer to them. I had the joy of removing a broken starter bolt just yesterday.

Keith_J

If they break, then you have a massive pain to drill for the extractor. That was a nice 4 hour job a few months ago with stock bolts.

Ever try drilling a grade 8 bolt? There isn't anywhere to get a mag base drill attached, then you have to CENTER the drill in the bolt, not an easy task if broke off flush. And they never break off square. Hopefully they break off below flush so you can use centering bushing to get the hole started square and center.

Barneyszoo

I changed to cap screws (Alien head bolts) there rated at 180,000 psi, on some mechieney, but when they break the head pops off and your left with a nice stud to get some vice grips on or you can weld something to it and get it out. But I make no claimes. And you have to use the right lock washers.

davo727

Do you know the size , thread pitch and length of them please?

Thanks, Dave

I changed to cap screws (Alien head bolts) there rated at 180,000 psi, on some mechieney, but when they break the head pops off and your left with a nice stud to get some vice grips on or you can weld something to it and get it out. But I make no claimes. And you have to use the right lock washers.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gm #15544950
nsn - 5306-01-227-9085

You can order them from most parts houses in quanity. GM stealerships stock them, ebay has them listed. Even the HELP! brand at the parts houses will work. You do have to buy two packages as they come with a short and long bolt.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks