• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck from Upstate New York to Columbus Georgia hard ride

jatonka

I will be driving Aces & Eights from Ephratah, NY to Columbus GA starting August 2nd. I know how to get there by the Interstate Highways but I prefer using US and State roads to keep from getting rear ended and dead.

I could use some suggestions on alternate US Hwys and good State roads from any one who has experience with truck routes from say Harrisburg, PA down to Columbus, GA.

I'm not riding on a lowboy, I'm driving the Gun Truck. Probably all alone, with no chase car for backup.

I will appreciate any help, John T

Guntruck Gathering thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116768-Guntruck-gathering-xii(12)

Last edited by a moderator:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The very best of luck and may "Murphy" not even know you left until two after you are back!! Too far away to be of physical assistance, but will definitely keep you in my prayers!!!

God be with ya John!

God bless,
Tony

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dang JT, you're a better man than I!!!:beer: There's no way I would attempt that run, especially alone and without backup and chase capability.

I got a call from Ron (Black Widow) today in Florida. We decided it's best for me to send a truck down there and haul her up and back and that's only about 190miles or so. Ron is just to old and banged up to try it.:driver:

Other than "Untouchable" none of the trucks north of Tennessee are coming to my knowledge due to all kinds of issues.

This is just me speaking but if I were you and couldn't haul the Aces & Eights GunTruck I think I would just drive a POV and enjoy the festivities instead of wearing myself out getting here and back.
There's always next year and I'm sure the location will be much further north.

The important thing is for YOU to be here Brother.

jatonka

I know this is too much of a trip alone in hot weather, I give advice to people all the time to stay within sensible limits on their goals. I can't explain why I am driving to the Gathering, except I said I was, so......., how about some help on alternate roads that work for truckers and I can still make some time on.

If a man in VA knows the best route toward Columbus, GA through his own State, I could use the info. Then a man in SC. might know the best way through his state, and I could string it all together state by state.

I sure would appreciate the help, JT

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck John. Do you know about using Google maps and telling it to avoid highways? I just plotted out a route for the whole trip. Almost 24 hours driving not using interstates.

R Racing

I'd come into MD on 83 and take it to 97 to 301 south over the Potomac river bridge into VA from there you could continue on 301 or get on 95 or the Richmond bypass .

zout

John - for any chance you need a break when and if you come through Atlanta I am offering a rest over stop for bed and chow and shower if you feel the need - just PM in case you want the information and location.

Just offering it up if needed.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you give me a day or so? I have made the trip from Aiken SC to Columbus Ga a couple of times, so I have that part down pat. I have also made many, many trips to the NE(had family living there) so I know NC and VA well also.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be fine John. Im sure you PM'ed the truck and it is all set to go. I drove my Deuce from Binghamton NY to Livonia Michigan and it was about 530 miles. Had no problems at all with the truck but I did almost get rear ended by a semi. The semi swerved and hit the car next to me ripping the bumper off. Convoy lights may not be a bad idea if you have them. I have put abut 2600 miles on the truck this year and it has performed great. Im sure your truck is good to go but still bring a bunch of tools and towbar then you are guaranteed not to break down! :-o Lots of SS guys on here would be glad to help anybody that needed help. That is what I love about this hobby.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, I'm much too far away to be of any assistance of the physical nature. I can certainly request safe passage from above if that would be OK? Make sure you have plenty of contacts and a way to keep the battery up on a phone so that we can mobilize should the need arise!

jatonka

Thank you all for the info so far, I will work with my atlas using the suggestions so far. As far as prayers, YES please. I truly know the power of prayer works.
I look forward to more suggestions from you guys who understand trucks and their limitations. I'm getting pretty excited and a little nervous, but we're heading south on Saturday morning!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Heck JT...you think you're nervous?? I feel like I'm nervous as a ho' in church just thinking about you making that trip!!

I'm praying you have an uneventful trip Brother!!

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a fun trip, would love to help out but am a wee bit too far away (like 5000 mile and once ocean). No hurry, take a day extra and avoid driving in the heat of the day (use it for siesta).

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John - I can free up part of Thur or Fri if you are running short of prep time - happy to help you off to a good start.
Can lend you some of those big square reflectors (400mm/16"x16") for the rear if you want a more High viz butt!

Howard

R Racing

If you have room throw a tow bar in the back. If you need help in MD or in northern VA give me a call. I may not have the parts but could assist in repair or towing 443-624-4197 also sending prayers for a safe trip !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks