• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck Guns

FlatlinesUp

I initially typo'd Fun Truck Guns (lol)

What are you folks using for your guns on your trucks? airsoft, cast replicas, plastic solids, resin? etc?

what is the most economical method that still looks the part?

Driver523

The best guns I've seen are the demilled guns, of coarse they look the most real cause they are---but the problem with some of the others is that when the kids get up on the trucks some get a little rough on the equipment and things get broke, Irac cast replicas are also pretty good. (he's out of Ohio I believe)---------------Driver

David_4x4

Probably airsoft.

Seeing as a real M134 minigun kit is anywhere from $20k-$50k dollars. At those prices you could stick live semi 50s on there.

Srjeeper

I've got three resin guns from this supplier (www.rreplicas.com) they are all very accurately detailed. The nice thing about resin guns is you don't need to worry about the weather, plus they're affordable.

zb39

Live 30 cal 1k, live 50 cal 6.5k, both semi of course. Look around there are some deals out there. You could also build your own for less.:-D

quonsethut

I purchased 3 airsoft M60s from a place called Airsoft GI $399.00 ea. All steel construction and plastic only where plastic is supposed to be. They weigh about 24 lbs. , nice and hefty. These were made by the Chinese company who was shut down for using live rifle lowers on their Airsoft m4 rifles and importing them to the U.S. The only thing I dont like about them is the M60 E pistol grip they used on the M60 (it is different) otherwise they are remarkably similar to the live weapon and at a great price. The attached pictures is one of mine.

Attachments

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased 3 airsoft M60s from a place called Airsoft GI $399.00 ea. All steel construction and plastic only where plastic is supposed to be. They weigh about 24 lbs. , nice and hefty. These were made by the Chinese company who was shut down for using live rifle lowers on their Airsoft m4 rifles and importing them to the U.S. The only thing I dont like about them is the M60 E pistol grip they used on the M60 (it is different) otherwise they are remarkably similar to the live weapon and at a great price. The attached pictures is one of mine.
Thats what I had planned and my friend has one as well. It's quite a 1:1 replica but can actually be useful besides as eye candy.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The airsoft M60s mentioned are really nice, are quite strong, and a big surprise at the price. That is saying something coming from an old M60 gunner!

They do look a bit better after judicious application of steel wool to wear the paint off the high points. Look at the pictures Q'hut posted, you will see how good it looks.

In addition to Q'Hut's comments, one other shortcoming is the lack of the forward pin (the one inside the fore grip) for attaching it to the M142 mount. We haven't found a way to add one yet, still working on it (meanwhile para chord works..:p). It does have the cross pin and the T&E mount under the receiver for putting it on the tripod though.
Weight is around 13 pounds, so quite a bit less than the original, but enough to be hefty.

An original trigger group fits perfectly, if the late version offends too much.

For .50s, I can't say enough positive things about the gas gun I got from John Cheney. It just plain looks real!
I have an aluminium IRAC M2HB also, it looks good, and is nice and light at around 50# (as opposed to 84# for the real gun).
The only negative about the aluminium gun is making the finish look right. Flat black is okay but I need to figure out a paint that looks more like parkerizing and will stick to the metal.

Cheers

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone has a need for replica M60s built on real demilled receivers I have standard, "C", and "D" models available. I also offer M16A1s and A2s built with real parts on solid aluminum receivers. Feel free to e-mail me at jsinvent@charter.net or call 770-359-7701.

Joe
Do you have any mounts? I'm looking for a pedestal or something to be able to mount it on a CJ5 jeep.

TexAndy

Another option would be to buy a parts kit and build it yourself.

Not for an M-60, mind you... I don't think I've ever seen an M-60 parts kit for sale.

But there's still plenty of 1919 parts kits available for 450-500. You can get an 80% right side plate (the controlled part) for 80 or 100 bucks, no ffl required if 80% or less complete, and finish it on a drill press using the other pieces of the receiver box as a template. All it lacks is drilling and chamfering most of the rivet holes.

I built a semi for about 650 total a couple years ago when kits were 300 bucks. That included the semi-auto trigger and sear and machinist work on the bolt, barrel ext, and lockframe.

For display purposes, I would suggest belting up alot of dummy ammo for it AND using a dummy bolt with no firing pin or something.

Doesn't get any more realistic than the real thing. And for not much more than those replicas, you've got a real gun to fire from the truck at the local range. Uh... don't drive around in Austin with that on your truck, uncovered unless you like inspecting the pistol barrels of APD bicycle cops. :wink:

I have no idea if Ma deuce parts kits are still available, tho. I bet they're alot more expensive than 1919 kits, if they are, tho.

m151dave

On our gun truck - Business As Usual - we have two IROC M2HB .50 cals attached to the M23 mounts and one demilled M60 (origin unknown) mounted on an M142 mount. For personal weapons we have a variety of small arms, almost entirely airsoft. M16's, M79, M14, M3, a Thompson SMG (non-gun).

This eliminates concerns over the handling of live or blank firing weapons and the possible loss of such a gun and all the problems a loss would present. Airsoft guns are much better in regards to construction than they used to be. A lot of metal on them now. the wear better and take repeated handling better, BUT....you still need to keep them under control or the kids will destroy them, no doubt about that.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between not knowing any better or a complete lack of respect for the property. but 90% of the time is is a good experience and one that the guest will remember.

David_4x4

Another option would be to buy a parts kit and build it yourself.

Not for an M-60, mind you... I don't think I've ever seen an M-60 parts kit for sale.

But there's still plenty of 1919 parts kits available for 450-500. You can get an 80% right side plate (the controlled part) for 80 or 100 bucks, no ffl required if 80% or less complete, and finish it on a drill press using the other pieces of the receiver box as a template. All it lacks is drilling and chamfering most of the rivet holes.

I built a semi for about 650 total a couple years ago when kits were 300 bucks. That included the semi-auto trigger and sear and machinist work on the bolt, barrel ext, and lockframe.

For display purposes, I would suggest belting up alot of dummy ammo for it AND using a dummy bolt with no firing pin or something.

Doesn't get any more realistic than the real thing. And for not much more than those replicas, you've got a real gun to fire from the truck at the local range. Uh... don't drive around in Austin with that on your truck, uncovered unless you like inspecting the pistol barrels of APD bicycle cops. :wink:

I have no idea if Ma deuce parts kits are still available, tho. I bet they're alot more expensive than 1919 kits, if they are, tho.
There are M60 parts kits, but they're typically in the $3k+ range.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks