• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Handbrake adjustment help M101A2

Luwi67

I just picked up this M101A2 trailer. The handbrake needs adjustment, I looked up the procedure online and my handbrakes appear to be different. The knobs at the end of the levers are not knurled, they don't seem to rotate. I checked for a lock screw buried under the paint, none. I tried searching these forums but no luck. I sprayed Kroil on all the internals in the lever, still no luck. Is anyone familiar with these that can help me figure this out. Thank you.

https://flic.kr/p/2k9nQdk https://flic.kr/p/2k9nRPM https://flic.kr/p/2k9nSNa

Jeepadict

The internal adjustment screw is probably rust locked as mine was. Spray the snot out of it from underneath with PB or your penetrant of choice over a few days then try to turn them back & forth...may need help from a pair of channel locks or the type. Once you can get it to turn a lube hole should align allowing to spray in the upper side of the handle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Luwi67

Thank you, I've been spraying it with Aero-Kroil. Now that you mention it, I did notice a small hole in the top of the knob right in the center.

Guyfang

Staff member
The internal adjustment screw is probably (no probably about it. I have broken more of these things then I can count. Rusted.) rust locked as mine was. Spray the snot out of it from underneath with PB or your penetrant of choice over a few days then try to turn them back & forth...may need help from a pair of channel locks or the type. Once you can get it to turn a lube hole should align allowing to spray in the upper side of the handle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a part number anywhere on that new style lever?
I see the cage number in one pic.

Replacement levers for these trailers are almost impossible to find. The correct ones anyway.

As already mentioned, their just rusted.
Once you get them freed up and working, keep them lubed well.

Guyfang

Staff member
NSN and Part Number

5310-00-936-5284 10926073
3040-00-330-3262 3100C21B180Y
3040-00-330-3262 01001307

All of these will fit that trailer. This has been a problem area since time began. When new, unscrew the handle completely. Then lube up with GAA. Reapply OFTEN. Exercise the knob OFTEN. Reapply GAA OFTEN. Light candles in church. OFTEN. Can not hurt.

After soaking the handle in penatrating oil, or something like that, use a vice grip on it. Place the vice grip at the end of the handle. Work it back and forth.

Guyfang

Staff member
GAA
(MIL-PRF-10924E&F)
Grease, Automotive
and Artillery

Its the "Go to" grease for the military.

There is a document in the TM9-2330-202-13&P. Its called the "LO". Lubrication Order. It tells you WHAT needs lubrication, WHERE it needs lubrication and WHEN it needs lubrication. Strangly, there is no referance to the adjusting knob on the hand brake. But no Motor Sgt worth his beans would not check it. No lube, no work. Probably any good grease would do. That's just what the military uses. In old, old days, the brake handles even had a lube nipple.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NSN and Part Number

5310-00-936-5284 10926073
3040-00-330-3262 3100C21B180Y
3040-00-330-3262 01001307

All of these will fit that trailer. This has been a problem area since time began. When new, unscrew the handle completely. Then lube up with GAA. Reapply OFTEN. Exercise the knob OFTEN. Reapply GAA OFTEN. Light candles in church. OFTEN. Can not hurt.

After soaking the handle in penatrating oil, or something like that, use a vice grip on it. Place the vice grip at the end of the handle. Work it back and forth.
I meant on that particular handle.

We’ve been down this road before.
I can find the TM part number all day long, along with plenty of handles that claim to “fit”, but do not.

I have not seen that new style for sale anywhere, which is why I wondered if there’s a part number stamped on it

Luwi67

I'll go out and check for any other numbers.

Question: Does the knob at the end of the lever have to be pushed in or pulled out before rotating? I've been working it with a vise grip with some rubber sheet in between it to protect the paint and it is stubborn, I tried tapping the knob in or out and it doesn't seem to want to move either way. I just don't want to break it forcing it to turn.

They look new compared to the rest of the trailer. The previous owner said he replaced all the brakes. I'll try to contact him to see if he replaced the handbrake levers.

Guyfang

Staff member
CAGE CODE: 081X2
Kratzke Machining & Fabricating Co.
N6486 Banner Rd.
Wittenberg, WI
54499-8408
phone:7152533800
Fax: 7152532068

Took for ever to find this. Must be my eyes. Thought it was 081N2

Guyfang

Staff member
I'll go out and check for any other numbers.

Question: Does the knob at the end of the lever have to be pushed in or pulled out before rotating? (No. Its supposed to turn when in the up position, loose position) I've been working it with a vise grip with some rubber sheet in between it to protect the paint and it is stubborn, I tried tapping the knob in or out and it doesn't seem to want to move either way. I just don't want to break it forcing it to turn.

They look new compared to the rest of the trailer. (They are new. Paint is the stock paint on new issue parts.) The previous owner said he replaced all the brakes. I'll try to contact him to see if he replaced the handbrake levers.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sometimes takes some ample force to get it to turn.
You might heat it up with a torch to help break the rust loose.
The expansion and contraction of the metal usually breaks the bond.

There are a LOT of M101 series trailer owners who need these handles.
Including me.

Bthor1

GAA
(MIL-PRF-10924E&F)
Grease, Automotive
and Artillery

Its the "Go to" grease for the military.

There is a document in the TM9-2330-202-13&P. Its called the "LO". Lubrication Order. It tells you WHAT needs lubrication, WHERE it needs lubrication and WHEN it needs lubrication. Strangly, there is no referance to the adjusting knob on the hand brake. But no Motor Sgt worth his beans would not check it. No lube, no work. Probably any good grease would do. That's just what the military uses. In old, old days, the brake handles even had a lube nipple.
Good information. Wonder why they removed the zerk fitting on the handles

Guyfang

Staff member
That picture is from a AN/MJQ-40 Power Plant. As far as I can find, NSN: 3040-00-330-3262 and part # 3100C21B180Y. This is a current trailer used by the Army. M200A1.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

New info on brand new levers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks