• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top fitment questions

dhaumann69166

I have a 93 M1038 with a tall hard top and hard doors but I prefer the standard height top so I am thinking about taking it back to regular height. I am pretty sure my top and back of the cab are standard size. Doors are taller but I can cut off whatever is necessary to make them fit (or trade them for regular height doors) The back of the cab looks like it has a few inches added to the bottom but the added on piece is bolted on so no cutting needed.

My question is if some of you with hard tops could send me a few pictures of how much clearance there is between the roof and the center pillar? How much clearance between the the windshield frame and roof? How much between the back pillar and roof?
There are tons of hard top pics out there but none really show up underneath the top. I am also going to have to cut my doors off a few inches it looks like. How many inches is it from the top of the window frame to the top of the door on standard doors?
I was also wondering how much head room you have in a standard height hard top humvee? I am 6’ 1” and have TONS of head room with the tall top. I will put some pictures up to show what areas I am wanting to see. BA512432-EE33-4B79-B326-70A7A33D2225.jpg5770C90B-5895-4524-ABE2-F132CCB72F70.jpg
That is above the windshield
CEB31351-8459-4246-BCE1-1B9A2D10465D.jpg
That is the center pillar
BE8E65E2-A524-41E8-A91D-6E6FF5EEFBB8.jpg
This is the back of the cab.
How does the back of the cab usually attached to the top? Mine is welded but I had considered cutting it off and welding a lip on the edge of the top so I could unbolt and remove the back in summer.

dhaumann69166

No idea who the manufacturer is.
3B3BE8F3-42BB-4E06-AEA1-D7D81B5C1235.jpgB8408E31-975A-4C45-B14F-BB661F471B15.jpg
It doesn’t look bad I just like the look of them the way they are original. Any pictures of the inside of a normal hard top would be great. I think this might be a normal size hard top just has a spaced up roof and tall doors.

dhaumann69166

It is all aluminum. Aluminum doors with windows that go up and down. Aluminum roof and aluminum cab back. The cab back. The back window has been cut bigger and replaced with a back sliding window from an 80’s Chevy pickup.

tomelroy

i can see that being a nice setup for a tall guy. I don't have any photos of an aluminum roof, just steel and they have turrets in them, The don't use the b billar, so that won't help. I think the Aluminum roofs attach directly to the b pillar and then there is a piece that fills the gap in the front. Not sure on the c pillar. Maybe someone with a PLANB top can post some pics.

Action

Here is what an early original hardtop looks like from the side. The small lip at the top or bottom (in pic) hangs over the front of the windshield frame. There is just enough room between the steel top and the w/s frame to squeeze a gasket.

s-l1600.jpg

m1026_01_of_23.jpg

Last edited:

tomelroy

the steel hardtop with turret has a different style b pillar, it ties into the turret support ring. Their is also a c pillar, but it is integrated into the sponsons and the crossbar hold up the turret support ring. The style of roof you have uses the soft top b and c pillars.

Action

The original roof does not sit on top of the windshield frame. It sits on rubber bushings at all four corners on these tabs. This pic is a hardtop w/s frame. The tabs can be welded onto a softtop frame.
If you lower your roof, it will still all be a custom roof.

s-l1600.jpg

dhaumann69166

I don’t have a turret unfortunately so no worries there. How do the tops usually attach to the B and C pillar? How does the top attach to the windshield frame? Are they bolted or welded? How far down the pillars does the edge of the top go? I am trying to get a good idea of what normal aluminum hard tops look like where they connect with the pillars so I can decide if it will even work to lower my top. Some pictures of a hard top on a vehicle from the INSIDE is what I need.

dhaumann69166

The original roof does not sit on top of the windshield frame. It sits on rubber bushings at all four corners on these tabs. This pic is a hardtop w/s frame. The tabs can be welded onto a softtop frame.
If you lower your roof, it will still all be a custom roof.

View attachment 720843
I understand it will still be custom. That doesn’t bother me. I just want to see how all the other hard tops out there fit and how they are attached. Good to know the front has mounts. How about the B and C pillars?

tomelroy

check out govplant's auction results. You can find a number of PLAN B truck sold out of utah in past auctions. Maybe you can see a few pics that will help.

Action

I don’t have a turret unfortunately so no worries there. How do the tops usually attach to the B and C pillar? How does the top attach to the windshield frame? Are they bolted or welded? How far down the pillars does the edge of the top go? I am trying to get a good idea of what normal aluminum hard tops look like where they connect with the pillars so I can decide if it will even work to lower my top. Some pictures of a hard top on a vehicle from the INSIDE is what I need.
There are no normal aluminum hard tops. Unless you look at the newest models. You have the wrong b-pillar and c-pillar for a normal hardtop. The steel hardtops mount to at least 4 rubber cushions.
Post #7 shows a normal top. You can see the door jamb to see how far it comes down. You can alos see in the other pic of same post how far it comes down when on....just below the top of the windshiels.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like something someone fabricated to me. OE tops fit snug as mentioned around the radius of the windshield. I didn't have the "proper" gasket for mine last weekend. I used some 3/4" foam weatherstripping and that was too much almost to get it to work.

dhaumann69166

There are no normal aluminum hard tops. Unless you look at the newest models. You have the wrong b-pillar and c-pillar for a normal hardtop. The steel hardtops mount to at least 4 rubber cushions.
Post #7 shows a normal top. You can see the door jamb to see how far it comes down. You can alos see in the other pic of same post how far it comes down when on....just below the top of the windshiels.
What is the difference between the C pillar I have and the one you are supposed to have for a hard top? You can’t tell anything from the pics in post 7 other than the windshield frame sits tight to the top. You can see any of the mounts. Can someone post a picture of the mounts on their hard top with the top bolted on please. There are no pictures on the auction sites or anywhere else that show the mounts. The picture in post 10 was helpful I just need to see what the mount on the roof side looks like so I can make one and weld it on. Also want the pic of the top bolted on so I can see exactly where the mounts sit, how big of bushing between the mounts and things like that. I don’t need pics of all four corners just on of the back and one of the front. This is not ever going to be a factory fit and I know that but I can fabricate parts and make it **** close to store bought.

Action

Your B and C-pillars are for a softtop. The mounts will be useless for you, because you have nowhere for the hardware to go. Just drop your top down and weld it on.

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Action

c-pillar with roof mounting tab...

s-l1600.jpg

you can see the inside of the roof on IP. Those areas fit to these areas with tabs, bolts, spacers, washers, bushings, and cups, all of which are shown in the TMs.....even how to put them together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks