• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone attempted to make their own hard doors?

Sparo2

Good morning fellow HMMWV owners,

So I've had my Humvee for nearly 6 months now and I have already begun doing many upgrades. One of the first upgrades that I started doing was converting the soft top over to a hardtop. My only problem was the hardtop conversions are way too expensive. So I decided to make my own version out of fiberglass. I know, I know it's not authentic. But being in America were allowed to do whatever we want to our vehicles.

Anyhow, I'm about 75% done with the roof and I will be getting started on the doors very soon. Military X doors are getting very expensive and they're only going up. $2000-$2500 for a set of doors in OK condition seems like a lot and I rather put that money into something else. Has anyone ever tried making their own X doors (or similar)? No I'm not talking about a door made from just a sheet of aluminum or metal. I'm talking about a door with a good functioning window thats similar to the X doors.

Let me me know your thoughts.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I truly respect what you are trying to accomplish but I can say in all honesty that by the time all is said and done, buying the X-doors will be a cheaper and easier option IMHO.

You need to make 4 unmatched molds, and then make or buy all the fiddly bits like window slides and locking mechanisms and re-enforced attachment points.

Unless you're a master fiberglass craftsman, (and even if you are), I don't see this being easy.

Making a roof is not nearly the same.

Best,

T

Sparo2

I truly respect what you are trying to accomplish but I can say in all honesty that by the time all is said and done, buying the X-doors will be a cheaper and easier option IMHO.

You need to make 4 unmatched molds, and then make or buy all the fiddly bits like window slides and locking mechanisms and re-enforced attachment points.

Unless you're a master fiberglass craftsman, (and even if you are), I don't see this being easy.

Making a roof is not nearly the same.

Best,

T
Well I was thinking of making molds so that I can later make more and sell them but because I'm short on time I decided to make 1 off pieces. So I'm gonna start by making the doors from wood and then once I have the shape I want I'll seal it with fiberglass. I think this will make the door sound really solid and provide good thermo protection unlike a aluminum door. I'll make the custom slides and I'm sure the elevators can be found at a junk yard for next to nothing.

Plan B makes a door like you say with a cute applique x on it.
Ya I've seen those and they're ok but just not what I'm looking for. Besides I'm pretty sure those doors will soak up heat and transfer it into the cab.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I was thinking of making molds so that I can later make more and sell them but because I'm short on time I decided to make 1 off pieces. So I'm gonna start by making the doors from wood and then once I have the shape I want I'll seal it with fiberglass. I think this will make the door sound really solid and provide good thermo protection unlike a aluminum door. I'll make the custom slides and I'm sure the elevators can be found at a junk yard for next to nothing.

Ya I've seen those and they're ok but just not what I'm looking for. Besides I'm pretty sure those doors will soak up heat and transfer it into the cab.
These fiberglass doors are not that great for heat or cold. LizardSkin is the way to make any door a better heat and sound shield.

I've seen the "Plan B" doors online and they look great IMHO. Your time could then be better spent making custom "X" patterns to glass up to the doors and paint. Then LizardSkin the inside of the doors.

I love your desire to do this and your can-do attitude. I'm not here to tell you not to be you. I'm just saying that this is a super tough job that seems much easier than it will turn out to be. Use your energy and great positive attitude elsewhere. Fiberglass warps and can be a real "female dog in heat".

Best,

T

Last edited:

Sparo2

These fiberglass doors are not that great for heat or cold. LizardSkin is the way to make any door a better heat and sound shield.

I've seen the "Plan B" doors online and they look great IMHO. Your time could then be better spent making custom "X" patterns to glass up to the doors and paint. Then LizardSkin the inside of the doors.

I love your desire to do this an your can-do attitude. I'm not here to tell you not to be you. I'm just saying that this is a super tough job that seems much easier than it will turn out to be. Use your energy and great positive attitude elsewhere. Fiberglass warps and can be a real "female dog in heat".

Best,

T
I see your point. I'll do one and see how it comes out. I have the wood and a brand new roll of glass so it will only cost me my time. If it turns out to be more of a PITA then I'll scrap the idea and just save up for some true X doors. The labor doesn't bother me one bit. I love fabrication.

Thanks for for the input btw

Sparo2

I'm going to see if I can find someone nearby with a set of X doors so that I can get a better feel for how they're constructed.

Does es anyone in the Los Angeles area have a set I can take a look at?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to see if I can find someone nearby with a set of X doors so that I can get a better feel for how they're constructed.

Does es anyone in the Los Angeles area have a set I can take a look at?
There are a bunch of guys in Cali. I seem to recall RetiredWarHorses is one of them. I would suggest you start there. I've seen him here and on other BB's and he has a deep wealth of knowledge.

Sparo2

If you are worried about insulation, get a set of arctic doors.
It's not insulation from the cold that I'm concerned with. Aluminum soaks up the heat. Now I don't have any experience with the aluminum doors but I can only imagine how hot they might get on a warm summer day.

Action

It's not insulation from the cold that I'm concerned with. Aluminum soaks up the heat. Now I don't have any experience with the aluminum doors but I can only imagine how hot they might get on a warm summer day.
If arctic doors keep heat in, wouldn't they also keep heat out? They would be perfect if you had a/c.

tomelroy

Midwest Military Equipment is making an improved version of the plan b door with an even better rivet on X! The thing i don't like about these doors is the window only opens half way. Hard to rest your arm on that, let alone try and escape if needed. It would be nice if someone made a real copy of an x door out of aluminum with a stamped x.

If you are going to really make fiberglass doors, I would use original x doors to make your molds. That is alot of work and demand for your product would be higher if it looked legit. IMHO

Sparo2

Ya that's true. But I don't know of anyone willing to let me barrow a set of doors. The good thing about wood is that it's easy to work with. I'll post pics of the finished product.

Sparo2

If someone loaned you doors to make molds, what would you di? Strip everything off including the riveted on seal?
I didn't know the seals were riveted on. You need to realize that I don't have any experience with these doors. That's why I'm trying to find someone local who has these Doors so that I can take a look at them. I wouldn't want to ruin a good set of doors in the process. Especially not someone else's doors.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

I can take pictures for you and measurements for you . What exactly are you trying to see .
They are basically fiberglass doors to begin with may have some Kevlar in them but basically the are a molded door.
They have an aluminum trim with a rubber gasket if you will riveted around their perimeter. Have two rails / tracks the windows index into and a internal external latch mechanism connected by a rod to open the latch from either side.

The first gen up armored doors just have 2 layers of thin metal riveted to the exterior .

Sparo2

I can take pictures for you and measurements for you . What exactly are you trying to see .
They are basically fiberglass doors to begin with may have some Kevlar in them but basically the are a molded door.
They have an aluminum trim with a rubber gasket if you will riveted around their perimeter. Have two rails / tracks the windows index into and a internal external latch mechanism connected by a rod to open the latch from either side.

The first gen up armored doors just have 2 layers of thin metal riveted to the exterior .
That would be great. If you can send me some high resolution photos that would be great. I'll PM you my email address. I'm looking for pics of the inside, especially all the details (rails, seals, etc etc). Also if you can take some precise measurements of the height and weight that would help.

kc5mzd

Dumb question???
Why not start with a set of canvas doors soak them in epoxy then apply a layer or 2 of mat on the inside? Seems like it would make a good start.

NormB

Dumb question???
Why not start with a set of canvas doors soak them in epoxy then apply a layer or 2 of mat on the inside? Seems like it would make a good start.
NOW we're cooking with gas.

Picture how many surfboards, sailboards, sailplanes, boats, molds of ****-models body parts (ahem) have been made using simple foam molds, positive-negative.

The OP could simply use a well-fitted set of canvas doors for the OD/frame to make a high-density urethane foam mold, carving channels into the foam for the inside window channels and go to town with fiberglass/carbon fiber/kevlar layups, use simple 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum for the outside edge and just about any kind of commercial foam/rubber seal for the edges, 1/4" DOT-approved safety glass and make up the internals/window mechanism as he goes.

Put up some pictures of the mock-up or prototype and give it thirty days to see sets of these being sold on the evil auction site from some factory in Xandong province, China at $249.99 plus shipping.

:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks