• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone else ever seen this Western Star 6900XD?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see a sub-forum in the present conflict section that applied, but everyone here loves METs and HETs so I'm curious if anyone knows if this Western Star 6900XD tank transporter ever participated in testing trials or anything?

In another life, when I was a test engineer for DTNA we had an open house event around 2009 where employees' families could come and take a tour, enjoy a BBQ and kick the tires of our test trucks and this truck was there. I remember staring in awe at its rear suspension spring pack and the size of it's sling lift point castings. The interior had rifle mounts everywhere and i remember thinking that this truck was all business. I think it had a pre-emissions 14 liter Detroit Diesel Series 60. Photos were not allowed but i wish i had some personal pics of how cool this truck was.

download (3).jpeg

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I didn't see a sub-forum in the present conflict section that applied, but everyone here loves METs and HETs so I'm curious if anyone knows if this Western Star 6900XD tank transporter ever participated in testing trials or anything?

In another life, when I was a test engineer for DTNA we had an open house event around 2009 where employees' families could come and take a tour, enjoy a BBQ and kick the tires of our test trucks and this truck was there. I remember staring in awe at its rear suspension spring pack and the size of it's sling lift point castings. The interior had rifle mounts everywhere and i remember thinking that this truck was all business. I think it had a pre-emissions 14 liter Detroit Diesel Series 60. Photos were not allowed but i wish i had some personal pics of how cool this truck was.

View attachment 867458

That is one tough looking truck!
The skid plate at the front axle would let it ride right up over the top of whatever was sitting in the middle of the road for sure.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did a quick search and found that there is a "straight truck" with a 25ft bed, a 390 inch wheel base, a REAL TRANSMISSION (18 speed), and a Detroit in-line 6 pushing it all down the highway. Has a 28ft Gin Pole setup and nice hydraulic winches too.

ITEM #6097602

Western Star 6900XD 8x4 BedTruck.jpg

I also may have found the town that I need to live in / move to...
Based purely based on the name.

WOLF DOG

Did a quick search and found that there is a "straight truck" with a 25ft bed, a 390 inch wheel base, a REAL TRANSMISSION (18 speed), and a Detroit in-line 6 pushing it all down the highway. Has a 28ft Gin Pole setup and nice hydraulic winches too.

ITEM #6097602

View attachment 867474

Mullaney, I like the part about the REAL TRANSMISSION (18 speed)

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Western Star plant where this one was built was the former Freightliner plant down on Swan Island in Portland, OR where Freightliners were built for decades before being moved to North Carolina.

The DTNA executives thought they could save a few pennies by moving the Western Star Portland production to Mexico, but when they proposed the move the DOD said go ahead but we'll have to cancel your military contracts since your product would no longer be made within the US. The execs decided to stay. This was in the 2009-2010 time frame and I wish I knew what product(s) they were making for the military. If it wasn't the 6900XD I don't know what it was.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Western Star plant where this one was built was the former Freightliner plant down on Swan Island in Portland, OR where Freightliners were built for decades before being moved to North Carolina.

The DTNA executives thought they could save a few pennies by moving the Western Star Portland production to Mexico, but when they proposed the move the DOD said go ahead but we'll have to cancel your military contracts since your product would no longer be made within the US. The execs decided to stay. This was in the 2009-2010 time frame and I wish I knew what product(s) they were making for the military. If it wasn't the 6900XD I don't know what it was.
Some of the 915's were Freightliners.
I have seen a few cabs on the auction block.

Daimler has been outsourcing stuff to Mexico for a while - mostly what they call "straight trucks" (24 foot box etc). The plant up in Cleveland, North Carolina builds those same trucks here in The States. The Thomas Built Bus chassis is built with parts out of Gastonia (Parts Manufacturing Plant) in Mount Holly, then hauled to Thomasville for final assembly. Freightliner Tractors are also built in Mount Holly.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ITEM #6097602

View attachment 867474

Damn what a set of mirrors ! Yea you might make it thru summer swatting bugs the sise of humming birds then freeze to death the other 6 months a year !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks