• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone here had fuel stolen?

hdmax

I was talking to a friend that runs filtered WMO in his 2 1/2 ton M35A2
He went out a couple weeks ago to drive it after it sit all winter, only to find the fuel tank was 1/2 full instead of full as it had been when he parked it in October.
I would love to have seen what it went into, and see how far they went before the vehicle died on the thieves.
You can imagine that they thought they were getting $4 a gallon diesel.:driver:

stancanpara

I just got a bunch of Diesel contaminated with Gasoline... Runs great in my truck! My wife asked if I shouldn't lock tank... I said anyone that want's some can have it... they won't be too happy if they try to use it unless they have a MV with an FDC though..... It's about 1/2 and 1/2... wouldn't that be nice in someone's new car or truck.....:driver:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had any personally stole from me but it's getting pretty bad around here. Most of the time they will just poke a hole in the bottom of the tank and drain it out. Not only do you have your fuel stolen but you've also got to repair your fuel tank.

Scrap and fuel thieves have been running rampant around here. The cops seem like they couldn't care less. The farmers around here have been hit pretty hard. If you leave a vehicle or tractor sitting out in the field unattended they will take the fuel, radiator, and batteries.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
In this day and age it pays to secure the fuel tank(s) if you are in an area where security is a concern (I live out in the woods and local people know I am armed at all times).

There have been several threads over the years on this site that showed how people were locking tanks on their MV's.

I remember in Germany we had several deuces that had locking tanks on them...they were the ones that were parked out of the Motor Pool (it was guarded at all times) on occasion when being used as duty vehicles.

It is invarible that when fuel prices shoot up the thieves start stealing fuel to sell.

Years ago when I was a long haul trucker there were drivers that had 12 volt pumps mounted on their trucks so they could either buy fuel from dishonest company drivers or steal it from other truckers.

One guy got a severe beating from several drivers when he was caught stealing fuel at a rest stop. The police gave him a choice of leaving the scene with his free azz whipping or going to jail for stealing fuel.

It is a sad sign of the times.

hdmax

This guy is armed to the hilt. He routinely does target practice with many old military weapons from around the world. His buddy tried to sell to me a pull behind 50 for $12,000. I declined as I thought it was extremely high.

idM1028

Not that stealing fuel is funny, but WMO? BWAHAHA! Serves 'em right. I was actually hanging out with the guys in my MV club today. Apparently they've had not only diesel stolen, but a water hose as well (?)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Several years ago at my former LZ I kept my deuces out in front of my big shop building. We were on a well traveled county road and occasionally people would knock on the door at odd hours asking for gas (usually crackheads or tweekers).

At that time I was running a 50/50 mix of WMO and gasoline as deuce fuel. Early one morning I heard a noise but didn't go to investigate. A little later I went out and noticed that the cap on one of the deuces was off and hanging by the chain. At that time I usually kept all the trucks topped off.

Someone had helped themselves to about 5 gallons of fuel......my guess is that they smelled gas and thought the deuce was a gasser.

I was going to the flea market (it was still dark) and got in my loaded deuce and took off. I got to town (about 5 miles) and on the side of the road was a beater import with a couple of scruffy looking jokers looking under the hood.

The engine was knocking like a bill collector and smoke was pouring out of the tailpipe. When I pulled up both of them had the deer-in-the-headlights look on their face. I knew these clowns had took the fuel from the tank but since I hadn't caught them in the act I figured calling the cops would be an exercise in futility.

I asked if they needed any help and one dude said "I think the engine blew up".

I said (with a straight face)...."Looks like you just got some bad fuel to me".

I jumped back in the deuce and took off but saw a local cop and stopped to talk to him.....I told him about the idiots and when I described the car he knew them. He took off to go check them out.

The next day he saw me in the deuce and waved me over......he told me when he approached them they took off running but they were caught later.....when they searched the car they found some pot and drug paraphanalia.

The car was towed to the impound lot and I don't think it ever ran again.

Sometimes karma works in your favor.:-D

We had 14 trucks on a water main install site, every truck had its gas stolen and one of the machines had a rubber hose by it. There were houses up and down the four block area but no one saw anything !

jollyroger

Theft is on the rise. I've had scrap iron stolen out of the barrel we use to hold the mailbox out through the fence at the highway. Almost caught the guy on the second pass that morning. Had my .45 ACP S&W with me and the two dogs. Guy hightailed it out of there before I could have a conversation with him. Don't think he habla mucho English.

They just put a bike trail in our old creek bottom we sold about 18 months ago. I have been pulling things away from the perimiter. installed a 6 foot tall fence to keep the people and dogs out and our livestock in. Still found where people are tring to hook metal pieces and drag it to the fence. Rediculous. By the time they get something to the scrap yard from here they spend more in fuel than they get for it. Agro vating!

Varyag

It does make me giggle. I thought someone in my town stole gas out of my land cruiser once. I felt like crap just because I know EVERYONE who lives near me. Turns out the gas gauge was Tango Uniform to my relief.

I do drive the deuce to school all the time. I am just waiting for the day that someone steals fuel out of it. I cut it with gas too and it has a kind of gas smell to it. They would probably sue me and win in court knowing this county.

Probably won't be too long before something like that happens here. I keep my Deuce parked in the driveway next to my daily driver, but the thieves are getting braver. Just during the week they broke into the local Piggly Wiggly by going through the roof. They even tried to disable the alarm system by cutting the phone wires.

They also broke into a food store in the next town over about 8 miles or so.

Times are getting hard for some people, especially the really shiftless ones.

LC

Oldfart

Back in one of the last gas crises (which one you might ask since I am so old) I had a 5 gallon jerry can of heavy oil chainsaw fuel in the side mount on my M37. I was going to the mountains on weekends and cutting fire wood. Someone stole my whole can. It had to be a neighbor kid as it disappeared while in my carport. I had to imagine some satisfaction about turning the thief's car into a smoker. Never did figure out who took it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave one jerry can insight and filled almost to the top with water then add 3 cups diesel. If you get hit they will take the jerry can to. Guess what happens next.:driver:

dittle

My wife's car had 1/2 of gas taken out of it last week. Thieves left the fuel cap off and the sensor on the car told her to put it back on was the only way she knew she had fuel stolen. She wasn't paying much attention to the fuel gauge.

If you really want to mess some one up, fill a 5 gallon fuel can with gas and mix in a bottle of water based Napa valve grinding compound. Their fuel pump, injectors and valves will be shot by the time they are finished using the fuel. Add the compound to a quart of oil and put it in an engine and within 20 minutes they will have all the symptoms of failed main bearings. Forget most filters, this **** goes right through. I know because we fixed an ******* thief with this mix. The best part it looks like normal wear and tear.

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
MY semi had locking caps on it and someone drilled a hole in the tank and got 200 gal. my new truck just has a screen in the fill tube. if they want it and have the means they will get it. its sad. the guy that got my fuel was caught because of the cameras on my truck. the one in the drivers mirror caught him and his truck number. All the gov. trucks have cameras. Thieves should be hung.

PropDr

A few years ago I caught a fella at around 3am walking up to my 64 f100 with a piece of garden hose and five gallon bucket. Pretty sure he was workin on a second round out of my tank that morning. I mad sure he understood that if I ever saw him again that the cops would be the least of his worries. Later that week I brazed a perforated steel screen onto the tank side of the filler neck and installed a lock on the hood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks