• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Have 4)3116's Would they work in an M35A2?

Mark2X2

Let me start out by saying, this is a would it or could it work question. Have no complaints with my LDT465 engine or tranny in my M35A2. The only thing I don't like is no power steering. We just retired 4)Chevy buses with 3116 Cats, 3) have 5 speeds, 1) 4 speed Allison auto. They all have between 100,000 - 150,000 miles, 1995- 1997 model years. Bodies are going to crap in the road salt, all good runners. They have a power steering pump that gear drives off the front of motor, it also powers the hydraulic brakes.
So if someone was really motivated, could they use the 3116 in an A2, use the steering sector that could take care of the power steering. Master cylinder powered by power steering pump, could that eliminate the air compressor. A problem with dropping the air system, the air shift for front end.
The only reason I'm even asking about this is, there are for good donor units at my disposal. I just hate to see them leave if they could be used. I know it would be a lot of work. A guy has to dream a little.

rorybellows

im sure it would take some fabbing if you couldnt get a hold of the appropriate motor mounts, etcetera etcetera. isnt that the engine in the a3s

mudguppy

i think it would be one of the most 'bolt-in' repowers that you could do. the engines are about the same length and the front motor mount is just on a real simple cross member that could be slid forward/aft as needed. the rear mounts will be ears off of the engine adapter just like in the deuce, so that's stoopid-simple.

you'll need to measure, but i'd guess that the 5 spds would be better candidates due to shorter length than the AT545 (guess on tranny). you may be able to adapt the bus steering gear box to bolt on for your power steering. if not, then use that International box that everyone seems to be bolting in; either way, you'll be able to run it off of the steering pump.

hydro-boost brakes is absolutely the way to go IMO. should be able to hang your clutch/brake pedal assembly from the bus onto the deuce firewall and mount your brake booster and master cylinder there.

yes, running the hydro-boost would eliminate the need for the air compressor to run the brakes. like you mentioned, the only other thing needing air is front axle actuator. keep the air tanks and just add on a 24V air compressor from Viar or the like; you don't have to charge the tanks up much and don't have to do it at all until you want front axle drive. this is my plan.

the only unknowns are front end body lines and engine mounting height. the oil pan to front axle clearance needs to be checked. and to fit the intercooler in the front is [i assume] the reason for the different sheetmetal on the -A3s. your intercooler may be narrow enough to fit in front of the radiator or another could be found to fit. there will just be a lot of random bracket fabrication to make it all fit right.

i say do it. you'll probably be up against less work w/ what you have than i will be trying to fit my 5.9 cummins in there.

oh, and if your intercoolers fit or if you find one that does, please let me know - i'll be needing one for my swap and would love to get my hands on one now. [thumbzup]

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd want to keep the air compressor after the swap. it is industrial grade and that is far better then any electric. Air is necessary for most trailer applications, and is awful handy for an air hose.

Lee in Alaska

mudguppy

they are going to be medium duty, so they won't be ZF's. likely they are Clarks, maybe Spicers and could be Eaton/Fullers. usually when it's a 5 spd it's a Clark.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks