• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head Gasket?

Seth_O

I made a dump run today, and noticed during the ride that my oil pressure seemed lower than normal (~45psi at WOT, normally I would get up to ~60psi) When I got back I saw that there was oil spray all over the passenger side of the truck, I peeked underneath and saw my front axle completely coated with it! The turbo was puffing smoke (I don't recall seeing that before, but wasn't looking for it, so maybe that's normal?)

A quick inspection with the engine running showed me oil all over the passenger side of the block, but nothing above the bottom of the CH. Pic's attached. You can see oil sitting on top of the block behind the water pump, and running all down the side of the block behind the turbo.

My initial thought is head gasket blew outward - no problems with how the truck was running and I have the old style gasket. Additionally I was running late to get to the dump (it closed about 3mins before I got there - grrrrr......) so I drove the truck harder than usual (2400-2500 RPM's vs my normal 2300-2400.)

Open to the groups thoughts on the potential cause for this one.

Attachments

Clay James

My truck with the old style head gaskets does that too. I've read that it's normal. I've put over 1k miles on the truck like that and it's been fine so far. I just check my oil regularly for any signs of coolant and keep going.

Seth_O

This was a definite change for my truck - I've NEVER sprayed oil like this before, so something new. It tells me it doesn't have to be that way, and I'd like to fix whatever is causing it. I even had oil sprayed all down the passenger side of the truck :-(

Clay James

You could maybe try re-torquing them, but if it's a sudden change it's probably more serious. The old style is more prone to failure. It's not too much of a job to replace them. The heads are HEAVY though.

hoop

Looks to me, that she is throwing differential oil out of the front shaft thru.
It does not look to me that first or second pic has anything to do with the leak shown in pic 3.
Just a thought.

rlwm211

Check the pressure line to the TURBO. Also the return can leak. You would be quite surprised at how much oil passes through the turbo while the engine is running.

It is possible that a leak in the pressure line to the turbo would reduce the pressure in the block at the oil pressure sensor.

I am just guessing.

I would use some degreaser and then rinse until clean and then start the truck and see where the oil is coming from.

Irv

Finding the leak

There is a fluorescent dye you can get at Carquest/NAPA/whoever ($10 or so) that you can add to the oil. Then, using a UV light (cheap, nowadays) you can watch for the leak coming out, even on a dirty engine. Irv

hoop

Another thought.....The oil pressure valve is located just in that location. That might be the culprit.

jatonka

Also, pull the air inlet line off the turbo and check the turbo shaft for play, you may have lost the turbo seal and bearings, it will push oil through the engine and out the slobber tube right over the front pumpkin and move it all over the place. I've been there. JT

Seth_O

I wish. I need the rain to stop, the boss to get back from vacation (so I'm not doing my job and his) and the wife to get better (so I'm not taking care of her and the kids) then I can get back to the deuce. I had just enough time this weekend to break it :-(.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks