• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight wiring help

fpchief

I bought this truck as a parts truck and it has ended up being something I will not be parting out. It had a corroded wire #10, from magnetic relay that I had to repair to get it started. Figured I would eventually have more wiring issues. It sat down near the beach for a long time.

Replaced each connector on starboard headlight, replaced the high beam switch (used from another member, replaced because the first time I hit it for high beams it made all the lights go out)

Now, turn lights on and nothing. Hit high beam switch and only port side light works. I am getting no voltage (nothing above 2.5vdc) ar no connector. I am pulling plug off back of bucket and touching positive inside plug and got fluke ground going to chassis.

Is there a common place in the harness that may corrode and be hidden?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like a stupid idea until you think it through -- but when I try to chase down a wiring problem I go directly to the negative post on the battery. I have a big fat alligator clip on one end of a piece of 14 gauge wire. I stick it up on top of the battery terminal where a good hard yank will pull it free. The clamp on the other end of the tester onto bare wire is the second fail-safe. And while I am hooking up to the negative battery terminal - I double check that my test light works on the positive battery terminal.

Again, seems kinda redundant, but these trucks appear to have a REAL PROBLEM with good grounding 30 or so years after they were manufactured (and left sitting alone in a boneyard for ## years - baking in the sun).

You definitely need to confirm a "no questions / no excuses" good ground to test with.

Especially on a headlight. On a fender that should be but might not be grounded...

fpchief

Sounds like a stupid idea until you think it through -- but when I try to chase down a wiring problem I go directly to the negative post on the battery. I have a big fat alligator clip on one end of a piece of 14 gauge wire. I stick it up on top of the battery terminal where a good hard yank will pull it free. The clamp on the other end of the tester onto bare wire is the second fail-safe. And while I am hooking up to the negative battery terminal - I double check that my test light works on the positive battery terminal.

Again, seems kinda redundant, but these trucks appear to have a REAL PROBLEM with good grounding 30 or so years after they were manufactured (and left sitting alone in a boneyard for ## years - baking in the sun).

You definitely need to confirm a "no questions / no excuses" good ground to test with.

Especially on a headlight. On a fender that should be but might not be grounded...
I will be doing that.....thanks for the advice. If I can 100% be certain of the yes/no of voltage at each light connector I can go from there for sure.

fpchief

Using a ground going to battery, I have -12vdc on both power leads at each headlight and when I go to high beam I have +12vdc to #17 leads..both sides. Surely -12vdc is not correct. And with the +12vdc the high beams do work.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, 12V is not correct. You should see 21-24V there......UNLESS perhaps you put your (-) on the "wrong" battery terminal and only have one battery in play? I would double check with a different ground.
If you have regular 24V headlights (incandescent or halogen) they would not light up well on 12V. If they do, you most likely have the correct voltage.

fpchief

They are dim when on high beam. First thing I thought is I had the leads backwards but definitely did not. I knew I would have wiring trouble on this truck eventually...so here it is.

Luckily, all the rest of lights work just fine, cranks good, etc etc. Just no dang headlights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks