• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heater

aaron379

Im thinking about making a coolant heater with car heater core and blower motor 24 to 12v reducer of course... building my box to put it all in mounting it under the hood on the drivers side knocking the knock out under the vent intake for in cab air draw instead of the cold outside air any recommendations or has anybody done it? i want to get it done now instead of freezing to death wishing i would have done it now while its warm.......

steelandcanvas

Im thinking about making a coolant heater with car heater core and blower motor 24 to 12v reducer of course... building my box to put it all in mounting it under the hood on the drivers side knocking the knock out under the vent intake for in cab air draw instead of the cold outside air any recommendations or has anybody done it? i want to get it done now instead of freezing to death wishing i would have done it now while its warm.......
Good idea, but alot of work. Look around on ebay and maybe piece a heater unit together with a part here, a part there. The price of a whole kit brand new is enough to make you want to put on another pair of long-johns instead.

Cleptomaniac

Or google Jeep Heater and install one of those under the dash. If i remember correctly I paid like 70ish for mine. Just for the heater. The fittings and hose were from ACE. Their is a write up some where on here about it!! Works great, easy, and purdy cheap!!

mckeeranger

The Flex-A-Lite Mojave heater is pretty awesome. It's around $63 from JCWhitney.
A friend of mine installed one in the back of his work van, and it works great.

Correction: the heater is $247, the plenum box to install defroster hose is $63.
He just has the heater, not the plenum box. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a NOS 5 ton heater kit for my Deuce and because of the VERY COLD winters we have (ND) I mounted my heater assembly in the cab under my glove box, it works totally awesome and I figure it increased the heating efficiency of the heater itself by many times, I am very happy with how this worked out in my Deuce!
KK

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i used a stock heater, cut it down shorter and mounted it under the glove box. it works good but i think it could use a stronger blower motor to do a good defrost job. i wonder does anybody know the stock CFM of the blower motor fan?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was NOS brand new and 100% complete I believe I paid 325$ for it And if your interested I couls give you the name of the guy I bought it from I know he has at least one left
KK

randini

I bought a "jeep heater" from a surplus place in Idaho (close to me). It cost about $70. I still although had Hose, plumbing conections, etc. I couldn't beat the price.

Checkmate

Curiosity has gotten the better of me, and this thread seemed like a good place to ask, so here it goes...
Would someone be able to tell me the differences between Part ALL-5035 (Heater Kit) and Part ALL-5063 (Hot Water) on Eastern Surplus's website? Both parts are near the bottom of this page http://www.easternsurplus.net/duece_spares.html. This is purely information gathering not meaning to sell a product or anything. I have seen a similar unit to Part ALL-5063 (Hot Water) on Memphis Equipment but it had more hoses, connectors, etc.
From what I can tell between the 2 heaters, one is half inside the engine bay and half inside the cab, while the other is completely inside the cab. I would like to see some pics of the 2 different units installed (preferably unmodified) so I can compare mounting, ductwork, etc. I would also like to know your opinions of the 2 heaters as in which is better at defrosting, heating the cab, and installation.

Thanks in advance,
Checkmate

Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how common old trucks are where you guys live but I have a heater that came out of my dad's old (1956) GMC. It is a compact unit requiring only the two holes in the firewall for the hose connections. It draws air from the footwell area and blows toward the tranny hump, or if you flip a lever, out the defrost port on top. The core, blower, plenum, and diverter valve (heat/defrost) are all contained in one compact assemply. It has one wire to the motor and it was run through a rheostat type control. I would think many years of old trucks (and maybe old cars) like that have the identical setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks