• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heath's M35A2... the beginning

Heath_h49008

So here is the thread on my truck. I'll begin by showing a few pictures of the current state, issues, and what I have done so far.

She's a fairly normal M35A2... whistler turbo... stock as sold by GL to Dennis in Copemish, Michigan.

The data plate on the passenger side of the engine is illegible in most respects. I did make out LDT 465. And a build date of 1985. No rebuild tag.

The head doesn't seem to have any "tabs" on the gasket.

The block is marked "TD" so I assume it is a thick deck unit.

The fuel injection pump assembly does appear to be a rebuilt unit, and is marked "LDS465 1C" on a giant red sticker.

Issues already dealt with... two kinked fuel lines and some boogered fittings. One exploded on the trip home.

Pics to follow.

Attachments

gungearz

Hey heath... I bought mine from Dennis also. Great guy to deal with. The buffalo was a treat. I picked it up in March the night after the big 12" snow storm.

Attachments

Last edited:

cornrichard

Congats. You have waited a long time and will love it. Please pics. of whole truck, not just engine.
Pull out the lawn chair and a taste beverage and just look at it for a while.

Heath_h49008

The paint is peeling down to Vietnam era paint AND NUMBERS! The only ones I have found so far are the large "US ARMY" and truck ID number underneath.

The main fuel line coming out of the primary filter is 90% crushed at the insulator under the radiator. (Very hard to see) That gets replaced/cut out and patched tomorrow.

What I'm more worried about is the transmission. The inspection cover was missing (no big deal, I knew that) and she shifts fine going up the gears, and she downshifts fine from 5 to 4... but dropping into 3rd is another matter. I will not force a gear that tries to grind on me, and haven't done so with this one. But double clutching and blipping the throttle only works to get her into 3rd from 4th 50% of the time. There is also a pretty significant amount of fluid on the clutch cover and TO bearing... though it was getting dark by the time I got out to look at her. I think I might be pulling the top cover off and taking a look at the 3rd gear synchro and checking the fluid for anything metal. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry. More to come tomorrow.

You're right, Dennis is an amazing guy to deal with. When I asked him about the tranny, he said "If it's bad I'll give you another one."

Cash has changed hands, and not very many guys would stand behind a sale like that. I'm going to do my best to make certain he doesn't have to make good on that, but it sure feels great buying from someone who will.

Anyone wonder why I speak so highly of him? That's it. I will never hesitate to send anyone his way. That man will also get my money over a lower price (although his prices are VERY reasonable)

Also, here are some more pics for you guys. I even have a video of her on a cold start.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Heath, congrats on the truck she looks great! Two things, change your fuel filters. Mine was missing one and had almost a half gallon of water between the three filters.

Second which just happened to me today is check your differential fluid, drain and replace so you don't have a hand full of teeth. See my thread "I lost my Teeth"

Best of luck with your new truck..

Heath_h49008

I checked for water at the filters ... all good there. But, it just so happens I have a brand new set going in shortly. Dennis runs WMO and I believe some WVO... I think some crud has been broken loose.

(I do have to get some oil filters and change that as well)

My priorities are :
#1... ensure she is fully functional. All repairs and leaks fixed. Install locks on doors, fuel tank, toolbox and battery compartment.
#2... change ALL the fluids Brake, diff, oil, trans, and steering gear
#3... winterize/protect. Paint, cover, solargizer.
#4... begin modifications. (EGT/boost, Water injection, power steering, 395s, bedcrane, heat and soundproofing, muffler, stereo, computer, maybe a pre-lube pump, possibly split brakes) all as time, parts, and money allow.

DeucesWild11

At the bottom of your list but I just put in the muffler in my stack and it made a big difference in the cab. hats off to Sewerzurk for giving me the idea. I think his tread was called "all the stuff I did to my deuce right here" he has the part numbers and such.. some cool stuff he did..

Attachments

Heath_h49008

Dude... My favorite builds on here (And it's hard because there are so many...) are Sewerzuk, Jesusgatos, and anything Gringletaube touches.

I can try to keep up, but that is one high bar those boys set.

Heath_h49008

Yeah, read the thread a couple of times. Mine is only having issues when I'm moving slow and need to grab 3rd again. I'm not trying to compression brake, but when I'm slowing down, I like to have the trans in a gear that matches the speed to start moving again... even if I'm on my way to a stop, I run backwards through the gears and put the trans in neutral until fully stopped for first. It always felt "right" and if for some reason I need to accelerate, all I have to do is let out the clutch and pour on the coal. I have never burned a clutch or smoked a trans. Most of the time when I do this, I don't even let the clutch out.

I'm a weird driver perhaps, and I did learn to drive a stick from tractors, delivery pick-up trucks and sports cars. Those are not M35s. My method could be at fault.

For some reason it feels like I'm trying to drop back into 1st when I drop to 3rd. I don't force it... I either double clutch/blip the throttle and try again, or just wait until she's stopped with the gearshift in neutral and run her back up. She upshifts perfectly.

Last night I put the trans in 5th and the T-case in neutral and turned the short shaft by hand with the clutch out, so I don't think the clutch is dragging. There was a lot of oil on the backside of the clutch and on the bellhousing that looked to be from the tranny side. After the pre run inspection and lube she ran almost 200 miles non-stop after having sat for who knows how long. Anything is possible. I'll bump that fluid change to the top of the "to-do" list and use a paint filter when I drain her.

75% chance there is nothing wrong and I'm just missing something in my methods, but on the off chance there is a problem, I'm checking everything.

dutchguy

Congratulations! You've waited a long time. It sounds like the guy in Copemish is good people. You are gonna have a blast. You must not be far from me. Maybe I'll see you around somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks